1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Linux users?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Mar 12, 2006.

1. The computer science (my major) lab at my university uses Fedora Core, so that's what I have the most experience with. My laptop has XP on it, which I may change in a while, but it looks like my mom is willing to let me put Linux on her old laptop as well, and I'll probably go with Fedora Core or Ubuntu on that.

2. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
  3. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Very nice!

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Ubuntu 7.04 is out, I installed it on 2 machine already. Really good so far. I like it.

Ubuntu Studio should be out this week. I can't wait to try that one!!

5. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Let us know what you think of it. I'm still running Ubuntu 6.06. I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading, so I would be interested in hearing about it.

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I'm looking forward to it too. I'm not the hugest Ubuntu fan but they are certainly a catalyst for raising the bar for desktop Linux. I hope that Ubuntu Studio works better than previous Linux multimedia distros I've tried (Agnula, dyne:bolic). Planet CCRMA is good but requires a bit of work to setup and being RPM based has dodgy package management.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I upgraded to Ubuntu 7.04 when the beta version was released. I'm impressed. Everything is just easier to setup. Networking, printers, restricted drivers, decoders, mounting drives (Windows drives), etc..... My 7 year old has abandoned her Windows partition for Edubuntu. :)

Since Ubuntu Studio is going to be based on Feisty, I have to assumed that it is going to be nice some nice work has been done on the Studio repository. I am also waiting for it's release. A spare box is sitting here ready for the install.

8. So does 7.04 support more hardware "out of the box"?

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    I think that there is better than previous versions. For example, it detected my Nvidia graphics card and immediately I had the option adding driver with one click.

10. Cool, Im hoping it will recognize my wireless card automatically. Ive tried using ndiswrapper with previous versions of other distributions and none of them would work.

11. I just loaded in on my old Compq Evo N600C
    I have a 3com wireless PCMIA... and it detected it during install..
    quite impressed... (I had Fedora Core 6 loaded,, and wireless never did work)...
    I´m a Ubuntu convert myself now

12. FINALLY!!!!

I have managed to get my stupid wireless card to work and am now posting wireless while on Ubuntu 7.04. Awesomeness.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Sounds like another Ubuntu convert to me. :)

14. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Good man.

15. doing heaps of work with suse now and it's very stable. clients in corporate are finally trusting the open source now. not before time.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    There are actually some Red Hat, Suse, Debian and at least one Ubuntu box that I know of at my place of employment.

17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Ubuntu studio has be released!
    I am downloading it right now.
    I will install it tonight or tomorrow