1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Linux users?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Mar 12, 2006.

1. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Attached Files:

2. I don't play many games, but it ran Unreal Tournament (in the days before the linux client was easy to install) faster on linux than on windows for me.

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I decided I needed something to tinker with and downloaded the PCLinuxOS LiveCD. It really seemed pretty cool and even mounted my Windows partition automatically. It likes to freeze, though, which can only be fixed with a reset. I tried to install it on my second hard drive (running an OS from a CD feels pretty weird) but "DiskDrake" seems to like to stall/freeze on me when formatting hard drives.
    I'll give it another go tomorrow. KDE really looks awesome these days but last time I tried it it still had its problems.

4. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK

phxlbrmpf

i find KDE interface to be too cluttered for my liking. you mention diskdrake...are you sure you're not referring to mandriva/mandrake?

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    So, are you guys dual booting Linux and XP?

I´ve always wanted to try out Linux... I just can´t afford to try it out on my laptop since I need it for work...

I recall that many many moons ago, it was a complete pain in the a$$ to dual boot linux/W2K...

And also a complete pain to get rid of Linux if one decided to do so..

But, it´s been many many moons ago so I don´t know how it is now..

Would you recommend a good linux distro for me? with a decent gui?

A friend of mine at work has linux on his work computer, and he has downloaded OpenGL desktop on it... similar to what is in the new Windows Vista... He likes it and it would be interesting to try this stuff out.

6. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    It's easy if you know what you are doing, it depends on your level experience.

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Experience in general.. mucho...
    I´m a network/system admin with MCSA/MSCE/CCNA etc.

The just about only thing that I haven´t messed with is Linux :D
    Used to dual boot between various OS's back in the day.. I just have a faint recollection that I had some issue with linux/w2k dual boot way back...

8. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'd probably be using linux if my various bits of music software (and hardware in some cases) didn't require Windows (or Mac.)

Or I guess I could try the dual-boot thing again (music stuff under Windows, everything else linux.) I did that for awhile several years ago when I was trying out linux.

9. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    there's NOTHING that you have to do to make it duel boot. resize your disk using the isntaller thats on the linux installation disk, add your linux partion (ie root and swap space), then sit back and let it install. when you boot up, you will be presented with a screen that gives you the option of booting into windows, floppy, or linux. bear in mind that even about 4 months is LONG time in open source land.
    why don't you give it another go? its not like you have anything to lose :).

if on can install windows, they can definitely install linux. duel booting is automatic.

10. The new alpha version of Enlightenment e17 is a very nice looking GUI...still lots of bugs though (it is in alpha stage...)

11. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    64 bit Gentoo here.

> It's less buggy than my XP 64 Pro drive, I don't have to pay MS and still deal with bugs.
    > There's no activation key bs after I've paid for the OS and I'm trying to run it.
    > It's highly customizable as a desktop, and it does most of what I want it to do.

I've definitely stepped away from the bloat that comes along with using a MS OS in the last year, I mainly use linux now: 2 linux boxes at home, 1 with a windows/drive dual boot, and the same setup mirrored at work. It's the bees knees.

12. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    guys, for those thinking of giving linux a go, here are some screenshots. bear in mind that that is only the theme that they've chosen - changing themes can by done with the click of a button if you don't like the look of it.

13. mdurell

mdurell

Mar 9, 2006
    Boulder, CO
    I use Linux extensivly at home. I made a living as a Unix SysAdmin for the last 14 years and have recently left IT all-together to focus on a music degree.

Professionally really the only Linux I ever saw installed was Red hat. This was true about 99% of the time, the other 1% was Suse. Even still Linux is just now starting to make a dent in the "commercial" offerings. Linux was only a small percentage of the systems I managed throughout my career though it has been growing in recent years. Professionally I managed AIX, Solaris, Tru64, HP/UX and SCO (way back in the day).

Personally I've used Linux at home since 1994ish (give or take). I started on Slackware and have tried damn near every distrubution that ever existed. Currently I prefer Ubuntu for a personal workstation and CentOS (Red Hat Enterprise clone) for the more geeky stuff (Tivoli Storage Manager backup server, web servers, etc).

I do still use Windows though I can proudly say I don't actually have windows running on any real hardware. XP is my primary interface to the world at large not because I can't do what I need to in Linux (this was the case a few months ago thanks to some work limitations) but mostly because my habits are so ingrained. I run XP under VMWare Workstation 5 under CentOS 4. I don't play games and this solution, while far from ideal, is quite usable.

My laptop runs Ubuntu but that doesn't really matter as the notebook is circa 1997 and only has about 80MB of RAM. Basically it exists to run rdesktop. Doing ANYTHING on this notebook is painful.

I do plan on changing my habits in the near future but I will not be switching to Linux from Windows. Instead I'll probably wait until school time gets closer and figure out a way to pickup a decent new Macbook Pro running OS X which gives me everything I like about Linux (shells, tools , etc) and away from the horrid GUI of Windows and Linux. I think the Linux GUIs have come a long way but they try to emulate Windows too much to be useful. OS X is quite well designed and very user friendly and rarely gets in my way.

Linux is awesome and it is nice to see an OS of this caliber be completly free (as in speech and beer). It's also been fun to watch it grow over the years. I hope the next 12 years are as exciting as the last 12 (and if it weren't for the blasted suits I might have stuck around to see).

14. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    thats true of KDE, but it is not true of gnome. would you mind having a look at this screenshots here, here, and here and telling me in what way this is closer to windows than a Mac OS X?
    would i be correct in thinking that you haven't used gnome in the last 2-3 years? you really should try it out because it may well be what you're looking for.

15. Hi Ivar,

Sounds like you are a great candidate to try Knoppix LiveCD...you burn the iso image to a CD, throw it in the CD drive and let it autoboot, it autodetects all your desktop or laptop hardware and unpacks itself on the fly and is fully functional (including connecting to your network and, if you active Samba, able to see your Windows machines on the network) and you have access to the files on your harddrive. When your done playing, you can just shutdown and pop the CD out and go back to using Windows you have natively living on your machine's harddrive...it's awesome!

You can get the ISO image from here.

16. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Both of the major GUIs (KDE and Gnome) have a lot of features that Windows lacks, so I wouldn't say they're trying to emulate it too much, and there's a whole host of other window managers that will work however you want them to. In addition, there's even a few tiled window managers which are nothing like Windows at all. Tiled windows are an awesome paradigm, by the way.

17. I like Linux, and would prefer to use it, but I have not been able to find a distro that will allow me to to use WEP/WPA with my wireless PCMCIA card right out of the box, since good drivers are so damn hard to find. Since I have set up my house as a wireless network, this is a problem. I gave up about 6 months ago. Has there been any progress in this area?

18. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    PCLinuxOS seems to be Mandriva-based, that's probably why its installer is using some of Mandrake's tools.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I am already a member of those forums!:D That's where I got all of my installation help.

I was originally going to install Mandrake 10.1, but the CD would not boot my system for some reason. I also tried the Mandriva Live 2006 disc, same problem.

PC Linux OS is based on Mandrake, from what I understand.