1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Linux users?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Mar 12, 2006.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

As phxlbrmpf stated, PC Linux OS is based on Mandrake, so it includes all of the Mandrake utilities.

It is basically combines the ease of use of Mandrake with the ease of install of Knoppix.

2. For whoever said the GUI (of which there are dozens, by the way) too closly emulates windows:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Note the properly transparent windows in the first one :) Vista eat your heart out :D

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    For more screenshots of linux desktop arrangements check this site out http://www.lynucs.org/. A really who needs a gui, I can navigate much faster from the command line.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    What´s the general feeling on Ubuntu or KUbuntu?

5. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I've used Ubuntu and I like it as a desktop, though I wouldn't use it for a server, I haven't used Kubuntu(I don't much care for KDE) but I believe it's inheretently the same a Ubuntu so I would say it's good.

6. I used them both (at different times) on my mom's computer. I liked the ease of install of packages using apt-get, but eventually I got fed up because they'd made it too 'safe' and I couldn't configure it the way I wanted to, and the way I was used to with slackware.

There's a saying:
    If you want to learn Red Hat then use Red Hat
    If you want to learn SuSE then use SuSE
    But if you want to learn Linux then use Slackware :)

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks all!

I´m downloading various distros of LiveCD´s to see what I like..

So far I´ve got Ubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS... Also trying out the cool Kororaa XqL demo.... damn that 3d desktop is cool!

8. mdurell

mdurell

Mar 9, 2006
    Boulder, CO
    Some people swear by KDE and Gnome.. I've used both on and off over the last 7 years or so and I just don't care for them. No GUI has been able to match OS X's for me in terms of just not getting in the way (stupid dialog boxes that grab focus is by far the biggest annoyance... especially chat windows when I'm typing a sensitive password).

It's been many years since I've goofed around with window managers. I just don't have the patience for it I guess. Really I just want a GUI that doesn't get in the way. Even still I'm way more productive in the shell anyway and the GUI is nothing more than an easy way to multitask and show web pages.

For me, and this is subjective and different for everyone, I just don't care too much for GUIs in general and don't really need a lot of fancy eye candy. I only ever have three things open in the GUI at any given time regardless of the OS. A web browser (currently firefox), IM client (currently gaim though I use Adium on OS X), and a shell window (putty on windows, usual generic terminal in Linux or OS X) running screen. I'm just old skool and stubborn I guess.

I am interested in this new Aero stuff M$ has with Vista... But, again it's just more eye candy though I do look forward to the 3D alt-tab switching with real-time windows. I'd love to see that implemented in Linux (and OS X for that matter). It's just a matter of time.

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Kororaa XqL demo
    http://getkororaa.com/

Screenshots:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-XGL-LiveCD-19371.shtml

10. Or Gentoo...:ninja:

11. What is it? It's probably been done already...

12. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    have a look at this. theres tons of info on the ubuntu forum. you say that you have a problem with WBA/WEP, but you don't say what it is, so i can't give you a thread that gives you a solution to your specific problem.
    if that link doesn't solve the problem, just do a search for either WPA or WEP in the title of the thread. there are lots of threads that deal with WEP or WPA.

13. I tried out:
    Ubuntu
    Knoppix
    DSL
    Zenwalk
    Puppy Linux
    PCLinuxOS
    Kanotix
    BeatrIX

All of these on an old IBM Stinkpad 600E. Finally settled with Kanotix - got sound working (a major headache with this old lappy), network connectivity. I actually sold this laptop recently. Linux is a great way to breath life back into old hardware. Especially if it's for browsing / emailing / office. No worries about spyware, viruses (at least << MS XP). PCLinuxOS was certainly one of the more professional Distros out there.

Like others I had a major headache getting WPA to work. WPA_Supplicant, WPA_Passphrase, ... It's definitely not "out of the box" stuff yet.

I still use XP on my home lappy. I have a Firewire MAudio interface that Linux refuses to acknowledge, and Ableton Live isn't workable under Linux yet ;-) That and my beloved MS Flight Simulator...

I love the philosophy of Linux though. Live CD's are very cool - I recovered info off a terminally ill PC using one recently. That itself was worth the download!

14. You might need a kernel with firewire support compiled in...it might not be in by default. Compiling a kernel is pretty trivial anyway.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ground up is one way, might be a little frustrating at first though... :eek:

16. I thought it would be, but once I took the plunge, it was great...and their documentation is excellent in case you run into any issues. Gentoo rules. :bassist:

17. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    no, practically minded people use linux. geeks use apple macs.

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/55888/index.html

18. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    and how on earth did you come to that conclusion? :eyebrow: