1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Linux users?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Mar 12, 2006.

1. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    the group would be "users", most likely.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ubuntu

3. Or the user name again (ubuntu seems to like that....though I think it's wrong...)

4. Darrin

Darrin

Mar 18, 2003
    Music City, USA
    That's a Debian thing. Ubuntu, Kubunu, Libranet, etc... all have Debian as the core.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I just finished install ubuntu.
    I really like it so far, very easy to use.

6. I still think it's wrong ;)

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Tom Arraya (sp?)

lead singer/bassist for Slayer.

8. Darrin

Darrin

Mar 18, 2003
    Music City, USA
    It's not enough to bother me. Debian's 'apt-get' more than makes up for the whole group-username thing. ;)

9. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    rpm distros have got apt-get too.

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I installed Kubuntu the other day.

So far I´m still experimenting with it.
    My only complaint so far is that you can´t choose to install various dev packages when you are installing the os.

For example, I was fiddling around and installing Superkaramba and I ended up installing a lot of various dev packages and compilers to finally make it work.

With other distros like Fedore for example, you can completely customize the install. Kubuntu is just basically next-next-next-finish kinda thing.
    But it works good enough though.

11. I'm a source kind of guy :)

12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    If you want to use Linux for audio I'd highly recommend the Planet CCRMA distro from Stanford University's Center for Computer Research in Musical Acoustics. http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
    It's based on Fedora/Red Hat (which is not my favorite distro), includes audio-optimized low latency kernels, an APT-based package system, and it is very well maintained, with a great email list.

I've tried Agnula DeMuDi (Debian based) http://demudi.agnula.org/ but I've found it to be harder to configure/update/maintain and at least in its stock config it will not operate stably on my main computer.

dyne:bolic http://www.dynebolic.org/ is a groovy live CD that works well even on old computers (I've run it on a 300 mHz Celeron) and the X-Box. The current release (1.4.1) is about a year old but v. 2 is expected soon.

There are some powerful audio/video apps available for Linux (JACK, Ardour, Rosegarden), see what all'svailable @ http://sound.condorow.net/ but in general the user interfaces and documentation are not up to the level of Mac/Window$ commercial programs. I have used Linux for a number of audio projects but I still use XP so I can use Tracktion, ACID, and Live. Especially for loop-based music, Linux lags well behind.

Also, you need to be sure that your audio/MIDI hardware will work with Linux--check http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/ to see if your souncard is supported. I use M-Audio Delta 1010LT and Audiophile 24/96 cards and an Edirol UM-2 MIDI interface with zero problems. RME cards are also well-supported.

For everyday use I've been through a lot of distros--Fedora, Libranet, Slackware, Mepis, Gentoo, Arch. I've tried Ubuntu and don't see the big deal--they present themselves as being comparable to sliced bread/the ballpoint pen/Jesus in terms of their impact on humanity--but it's just another medium-performance Gnome-based Debian distro with an ugly brown default UI. Its popularity is due in no small part to the fact that it's funded by a rich guy who can afford to give away thousands and thousands of free CDROMs. I pretty much have settled on VectorLinux (Slackware-based) for everyday desktop use and Planet CCRMA for music, in a multiboot setup with XP.

There are a lot of great live CDs-Knoppix, Mepis, SLAX, Kanotix, PHLAK, with my personal favorite being the minimalist PuppyLinux. I'm glad I've learned about Linux--there are many things it does much better than Windoze (servers, networking, working reliably on old hardware). That said, my next computer will probably be a Mac laptop.

Just curious if anyone is using VMWare, Xen, or any other virtual-machine environments, or if people take advantage of clustering on Linux.

13. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    O.k.

After reading all 3 pages of posts I am still unsure how to determine which version (?) of Linux is right for me.

Is there a chart somewhere?

???
    :confused:

Joe.

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Download LiveCD version of distros.

You only have to burn them to a cd, boot up from the cd and you can decide for yourself without ever installing anything.

There is quite a number of distros available as LiveCDs.

15. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Since I am currently a non-linux person I am finding the idea of just 'shopping' for a linux OS quite apalling.

How could it possibly be 'See what you like best.'?

(Quite obviously I am a Windows user.)

:D

Joe.

16. Finding your Linux distro is like finding the right bass or finding your "sound"...trial and error...you won't know what you like best until you have a bunch of references to draw upon. Getting into Linux takes a little bit of commitment, but it's fun and worth it IMO (just like playing bass...only not as cool :rolleyes: )

I tried everything and then fell in love with Gentoo once I got over the fear of trying it (it's more "technical" than other distros). My $.02. :ninja:

17. i would start with a liveCD of Ubuntu or Kubuntu (ubuntu with the KDE windows manager) personally. I think that is the easiest version to start off with when test driving linux

18. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    O.k.

My computer is sucking Kubuntu off of the internet as we speak.

:eek:

Hmm...that almost sounds bad.

:D

Joe.

19. yeah, thats a whole other website...

20. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I use ubuntu exclusively on my laptop, I really like, as easy as it get!
    Much easier then windows to use in many way. When you will use apt-get you will wonder why it doesn't exist in windows!