1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Linux users?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Mar 12, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I used to use Red Hat and SuSe, both with KDE gui's.

Unfortunately, I'm using WinXP here at school on my laptop because the school does not support Linux on the network.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    O.k.

I need help.

I downloaded the Kubutnu ISO file (640mb) and burned it to cd rom and rebooted. That didn't work. Then it dawned on me that it needed to be a bootable disk. That didn't work.

5 disks later I know I am forgetting something important.

Anyone want to point me to a step by step tutorial to install this?

Or maybe just tell me how?

Either way would be deeply appreciated.

:D

Joe.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Did you burn the disk as an ISO image, and did you check the md5sums to be sure that the image you burned is identical with the one you downloaded? Pretty much every Linux distro will have a small md5sum textfile you can download from the same place you get the image. If your burning software doesn't have an md5sum check feature (the Window$ burners I've used don't) you can Google to find a free program that does so. If you find that the md5sum is corrupted you may want to try burning at a slower speed than you'd normally use for, say, copying audio CDs.

Also, be sure that your BIOS is set to boot from CDROM. Check your computer docs for how to access your BIOS settings. Set it so that the default boot sequence boots the CD before the hard disk. This way it will still boot from HD when you don't have a bootable CD but CD takes priority if it's there. Hope this helps.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    exactly what winston said,
    burn the iso as an image, not as an iso.
    Also make sure the bios is set so it boot on the cdrom
    What I have to do on my laptop, is press F8 when the computer boot, then select the cdrom

5. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Thanks for your feedback guys!

I'm using Nero 5. I burn it as an image using a file called 'kubuntu-5.10-install-i386.iso'.

My computer is set to boot floppy first, cd second and hard drive third. When I boot up I do get something like this displayed on the screen '1. FD (blah, blah,) (0-0)' and then it boots XP off of the hard drive.

I don't know what you mean by md5sums. Maybe this is the problem?

While looking for help on the internet I ran across a bit of info saying that when Linux partitions off space you lose chunks of your data!

Can you guys tell me if this will be a safe install for me?

Thanks!

Joe.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    try again and put cdrom first.

Also, when you install a new operating system anything can happen. Make sure you have a back up of everything you might need it.
    I use partion magic to partition my hard drive. I never lost any data. But again, it could happen so I always have a back up ready just in case.

7. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Yeah,

I've decided to try the live version now. I just started downloading it. If I can't make it work I'll ask them to send me the cd. But how different will Ubuntu be from Kubuntu?

Thanks for the help so far.

Here we go again!

Joe.

8. ubuntu sets the default windows manager to GNOME, which is cool and Kubuntu gives you the KDE windows manager, which as far as i see, is quite similar to the mac's OSX window manager, maybe it's just because of the shortcuts on that bar on the bottom...

with the standard ubuntu, i have tried GNOME, KDE, XFCE, and iceWM, and you can install it all with the get-apt command

9. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    deciding between ubuntu and kubuntu is the decision betwen gnome(ubuntu) and kde(kubuntu). bear in mind that it all started of with ubuntu, so thats a lot more mature and stable. kubuntu has a ton of glitches.
    its all subjective which you prefer out of gnome and kde. in general, kde has more configurability, whereas gnome is more clean looking and intuitive. gnome tends to have better support for hardware and is less of a resource hog. kde apps tend to try to do everything (eg amorak and konqueror) whilst gnome apps tend to be more focussed. gnome apps are better at working in non-gnome environments whereas kde apps don't function that well when used outside of kde.
    my personal view is that kde is ugly, too bright and glaring, and cluttered whilst gnome is attractive looking, clean, easy to theme, and more intuitive. different people have different views, but they're mine.
    have a look at the screenshots of gnome here and the screenshots of kde here.

kde is similar to windows whilst gnome is similar to mac OS X. in ubuntu/kubuntu, gnome is the most stable. kubuntu still has a lot of glitches.

10. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    i use open suse and slackware, other than those crappy MS programs i can do everything else for free.

11. Would you care to back that up? One is not a fork of the other, they're developed in parallel and use all the same software apart from the WM and its dependencies.

I've used both and found no difference between them besides I can't stand gnome's "We know better than you" attitude.

12. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    Fist of all, thanks to everyone for there help so far. I really appreciate it.

Second ...

/draws a big breath

After reading the Ubuntu BurningIsoHowTo page and downloading/installing the ISO burner AND downloading Ubuntu Live I successfully ran Ubuntu on my computer.

It ran incredibly slow but I figured that this was because I was running off of the cd.

XP still runs fine, which is a relief. I have a ton of stuff that I don't want to lose.

Can anyone tell me if there was a partition created for Ubuntu? Can I view it in XP or Ubuntu?

While in Ubuntu the only websites I can view on line are the Ubuntu website, the Mozilla website and for some reason, my personal website. None of the search engines will load up.

Is there an mp3 player available for Ubuntu? I tried listening to music and kept getting an error. Hmm...but it gave me an error with a audio cd also. Any ideas?

Finally, if I permanently install Ubuntu or Kubuntu onto my hard drive will I lose any XP data? I have read conflicting posts about this on different forums and am not sure what to think. So I bring my questions here, you know, to a bass players forum.

Damn...We ROCK!

Joe.

13. The Ubuntu live CD has not made a partition on your disk. The idea of a live CD is to be able to run without affecting the computer you run it on at all.

There are Mp3 players available for Linux, but getting one installed is harder than it really should be in Ubuntu. Installing is easy, but finding one can be a headache. Regardless, you won't be able to install anything without actually installing Ubuntu to your hard drive, since the live CD can't be written to.

If you install Ubuntu to your hard drive you probably won't lose any data. Right now your drive is (presumably) one big NTFS partition. To install Ubuntu you'll need to either resize or remove it. Obviously the latter will take all your data with it, so you'll want to resize. It's possible that the resizing process could hose your NTFS partition, although I don't think it's likely. It's worked fine for me the two time I've done it. Backups are a good idea though. Make sure you don't make the partition too small to hold the data that's already on your drive. I don't know what happens in that case, but it can't be good. Linux will need a couple of partitions, one for files and one for virtual memory (which you won't ever see). Make sure you don't use FAT of any kind for your data partition! I did that once and was unable to get my user account set up since FAT doesn't support access control for files. Ext3 is a good choice though.

You won't be able to safely write to your Windows partition from Linux. Only Windows can write to NTFS partitions safely since NTFS's implementation is secret. You will be able to read it though. Windows can't natively work with Ext2/3 file systems either, but there are drivers available for Windows.

14. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    its a shame that kubuntu kde uses directories that are non-standard for kde (eg use of /usr/share/themes for the themes. this is where gnome stores them). also, you can visit the kubuntu forums to obseve the fact that ubuntu is mature and relatively stable and kubuntu has a ton of glitches for yourself....but thats probably due partly to kde's instability relative to gnome. its true that ubuntu started first and kubuntu started afterwards.
    if you want some the defintion of kubuntu, here they are:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubuntu
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Linux

some of the kde folk don't like the percieved "we know best" attitude of the gnome developers, but they don't realise that it works equally in reverse. many of the gnome folk hate the "we love clutter and a mess of a desktop" attitude of the kde develoeprs. the things is, the gnome developers have to make some assumptions. they're not psychic and they don't have the resources to spend millions of finding out what the majority of the population want. as it happens, the gnome is the most preferred desktop amongst ordinary people judging by all the surveys conducted so far, so they're obviously doing something right. although these are snippets here and there, i will try and link to a few when i find them to show you.

just download gstreamer-plugins-ugly, then fire up banshee or amorak and start playing mp3's.

15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

Like lemur821 said,
    The cd didn't create a partition at all. It is slow because it is running from the cd.

You will need 3 partition for Ubuntu.
    1- at least 5 gig for ubuntu. this partition should be called /

2-swap partition. should be at least 1 gig, 2 gig would be perfect. that partition should be call /swap

3-last one, will be the boot partion, 200 meg it should be call /boot

If you partition like this it will run very well and fast, depending of your computer. If all your hardware run fine with the live cd, it should be perfect when you install it.

Running Linux is very different then running XP. It's not harder, just different. You need to think in a different way.

It's much eaiser to install a program under ubuntu then XP also.
    Under XP to install a program, ler's say firefox. You need to go on the web, look for the last version of firefox, download it, remember where. Double click on it, accept and make sure to read everything (sometimes we answer yes to everything and it will install other programs or spyware). Then sometimes reboot and it's done.

Under ubuntu, if you want to install firfox you open a terminal you type:
    sudo apt-get install firefox
    And that's it, it will download the latest version of firefox and let you know it's installed.
    Can't be easier.
    Some people are affraid to open a terminal. But once you get used to it, you will wish windows had the same thing!

16. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    the 'golden rule' is said to be to make the swap space to be approximately twice the size of the amount of RAM on the system. for example, i have 384MB of RAM, so i made my swap space to be 700MB(nice round number).

it doesn't really need to be that big. it doesn't really need to be any more than 100MB. on the disk, its usually considerably less.

17. You still haven't backed up your assertion that KDE 'has a ton of glitches' besides vaguely directing me to the forums. Anything specific you have in mind?

For the record I don't use gnome or KDE (or ubuntu or kubuntu for that matter) but from using them in the past, it seemed to me that KDE had options for everything. If you don't like clutter you can turn it off. Gnome on the other hand decides for you 'you don't need an option for that'. Spacial navigation for a start. How hidden was the option for that?! And I'll never understand why metacity doesn't let you push windows off the top of the screen. If you run 800x600 you can't reach certain buttons on certain dialogs (thunderbirds, for starts).

18. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    thats because there's nothing to back it up with. there aren't any figures and its not really measurable...its just a case of observation amongst a large number of users. just look on the ubuntu forums for several months - thats where i found my evidecne, and its more than enough for me to read of all the glitches and bugs in kubuntu whereas ubunutu is relatively stable.