Lion Head German! “1886”

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Lucas LaFave, May 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lucas LaFave

Lucas LaFave

May 13, 2019
    Hello all!

Current student who’s looking to upgrade here. I found a bass in one of the storage rooms at my university and after looking it over decided it could be the one for me. She’s in rough shape and needs some good tender love and care, but hearing and playing her in this condition gives me really high hopes for what could be. Anyway I contacted the university to see if they had interest in selling the instrument and sure enough they were planning to put it up for sale this fall.

Long story short they have some university procedures they need to go through before selling it, possible appraisal and what not. I’m just wondering what all your two cents might be... what would you offer or be willing to pay? Thoughts on the instrument? Anything!

Will post more pictures in the following days

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Where are you located? You need to take it to a good repairman/luthier and get an estimate on repairs it needs, and could use at some point. Then base your offer on that. It looks to me like a nice German bass. The lion head makes it special, but how does it sound? Remember, there are lots of basses for sale, so be smart. Look through the classifieds here to get an idea of what's out there. Also the basses for sale at the good shops.

3. Lucas LaFave

Lucas LaFave

May 13, 2019
    I’m in Lansing, Michigan. Some good luthiers around here who I’m gonna run this by. It’s property of the university so I don’t wanna be running around town with it. Always trying to get a bass on discount so the condition is a big factor, just worried the school will realize what they have and want to charge an astronomical price for a bass that needs a lot of work. Thank you for your input! Definite gonna run this by a luthier.

4. Walk away. After you buy it you’ll have to spend $10,000 on a restoration to have a $10,000 bass.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Another thought - I was also interested in a bass owned by a school I was teaching at. I was told they wanted to sell it. I asked permission to take it to my luthier to get an appraisal numerous times, but they hemmed and hawed about how they were going to deal with it, wouldn't give me permission, and I gave up trying to deal with them. I wouldn't waste too much energy on this one.

6. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Looks like it's got more cracks than a sarcastic deli clerk.

7. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Looks like fun. I'll take it if they put it up for sale and its close haha

Lucas LaFave likes this.
  8. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Wow I wish I had something that cool to play in school! My school basses were all junk (all 6 of them).
    Don’t over pay and get some luthier advice on it. The ultimate test is if the thing sounds good.

Lucas LaFave likes this.
  9. Lucas LaFave

Lucas LaFave

May 13, 2019
    Taking it to my trusted lutuhier within the week, I’ll keep this thread updated!

School is pretty trustworthy and I have decent connections among faculty, so legitimacey of them selling it isn’t too much of a concern

I’ve had a bass (my current instrument) in worse shape fully restored for under 3 grand before so I think I could find a solution for repair costs.

Thought I’d addres most of the replies in one comment, thanks guys!

salcott likes this.
  10. Lucas LaFave

Lucas LaFave

May 13, 2019
    Many of the cracks seem closed and repaired decently, some areas definitely need some attention. Top is a little misshaped but my current isntrumebt shows almost an equal amount of deformation.

11. Lucas LaFave

Lucas LaFave

May 13, 2019
    I will also say that the sound is very pleasant in current, Even in current condition and with a far deceased set of (what I think are) red labels

12. Lucas LaFave

Lucas LaFave

May 13, 2019
    *current condition

13. Lucas LaFave

Lucas LaFave

May 13, 2019
    Anyone able to read this better than I?

Attached Files:

14. If you are learning to be a Luther - you need a defective bass to practice.
    If you are learning to play music - you need a non-defective bass to practice.

dhm, groooooove, robobass and 4 others like this.
  15. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    C A Glier Sr.
    Reich(?) Instrumentenmacher
    Markneukirchen 1880(6?)

Winoman, DrayMiles and Lucas LaFave like this.
  16. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Even property repaired those top and back cracks are always going to be an issue.

Phil Rowan likes this.
  17. Matthias Hacker

Matthias Hacker

Apr 8, 2018
    Winoman likes this.
  18. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    If it sounds good and plays well, then you are right to want it. Inspection by a professional luthier informs how much you will pay for it. There are few issues which can't be fixed, given enough $$$.

19. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    BA8E49B1-4900-47E1-9FCF-BE6810CDBF93.jpeg
    Looks to me like CA Gher, Senior. "Somebody" Instrument maker,
    Markneukirchen, Germany 1880. Maybe @robobass will chime in.

Lucas LaFave likes this.
  20. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    You're going to need to wear raquetball glasses until you're mastered not poking yourself in the eye with those hatpegs.

Anxious to hear with the luthier has to say. It's a find for sure. The question is going to be condition and cost.

Lucas LaFave likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021