Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lipstick Pickups (Armstrong? Warwick?)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by barebones, Feb 4, 2005.

1. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Hey, all. I'm curious to try a lipstick pickup in my Frankenbass. I played a Warwick Fortress Flashback once and liked the sound of the passive pickups in that bass. (By the way, I read somewhere that the bridge pickup in that bass was humbucking. Is this correct?) I also liked the sound of the pickups in a Dano I played years ago. They sounded... sproingy!

Anyway, the bass this would be going in has just a jazz bridge position pickup, so the new pickup would have to fit in that space. I'm thinking I'd also prefer a humbucking model, but I might be able to go with a fairly quiet single coil.

Anyone have any thoughts on the sound of these pickups? Also, let me know if you have, say, a Warwick MEC or Kent Armstrong laying around that you want to sell. I might even be willing to trade you a neck position Lindy Fralin single coil if you're looking for one of those....

Matt

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've been thinking about some lipsticks for a while and read a bit. Never played or heard a bass with them that I know of. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a very useable sound but have read some good things about them in basses so who knows. It nothing else, should be different.

Post back here with feedback if you go that route.

3. Chris Clemente

Chris Clemente

Feb 1, 2005
    Chicago
    Yes the bridge p/u is actually two lipssticks (one reverse wound) acting as a humbucker.
    I have mec's in my warwicks of coarse and they're awesome.
    However I have a Dano Hodad w/ 3 lipsticks. This bass sounds great too. The lipssticks can be pretty noisey. But they sound really open.

4. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO

Yeah, I just found some pics online of the Fortress Flashback. I had forgotten this was a side-by-side design, and not a stacked humbucker. It's starting to look like I'd have to go with a single coil, unless Kent Armstrong offers a humbucking version as an option. Judging from their website, though, I'm guessing not.