1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lipstick pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peaveyuser, Jan 5, 2007.

1. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    I know the danelectro longhorn uses them but how about any other basses? They have a very distinct sound so i don't find a reason why other manufacturers don't carry some models and caught on to what silvertone and danelectro did.

2. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Doesn't the Warwick Fortress Flashback have lipstick pickups?

ed:
    The Fortress Flashback has passive MEC lipstick pickups, one humbucking, one not.

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Lakland has a model, A Scheff signature I believe. Check the website. Looks like a 4-94 but with the lipstick looking Pickups

Rob

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Kent Armstrong makes 'em and they can be bought aftermarket. I'd hate to say it, but they're a niche pickup that many people don't like. I happen to love the sound but can't find enough of a use for them to dedicate an entire bass to them.

6. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
  7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Originally developed by Dan Armstrong(Father of Kent, and founder of Danelectro) in the mid 60's, the lipstick tube pick-up was designed to have a vintage feel with a bit more power. The lipstick tube pick-up has always been a niche item, and always will be, but nothing else could ever produce that sound. ya love em or hate em

8. What is so different about them? Are they wound different or something? I always just thought that they were j pickups in a different casing.

lowsound

9. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA

Charvel

[​IMG]

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Nat Daniels was the founder of Danelectro.

Dan Armstrong did buy a bunch of leftover parts, bodies, necks etc. when Danelectro closed it's doors in the late 60's. Armstrong sold these instruments as Dan Amrstrong modified Danelctros, and some featured an Atom on the headstock. I actually had a Dan Armstrong modified UB-1 bassmade in 1969 I think, for a very short time. Cool bass.

EDIT: this was the only pic I could find onlin of a Dan Armstrong modified Danno. Dan Armstrong modified is in white letters on the pickguard
    [​IMG]

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Jerry Jones, and also some Silvertone and Coral, which were both manufactured by Dantelectro. Not all Sivlertones were made by Dano, but the Corals all were. There was a pretty cool Coral solid body that had them. Can't remember the name or model number though.

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Yup, Nat Daniels designed that pick up in the 50's for his Danelectro guitars, and basses, that were also sold under some other names. Dano's sold through Sears wore the Silvertone name. All guitars and basses sold through Sears back then had the Silvertone name on them. Some were also made by other manufactures like Harmoney or Kay. Coral was another sub brand of Danelectro.

Kent Armstrong currently makes a vintage style pickup based on the original Nat Daniels Danelectro pickup.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Silvertone/Danelectro Bass
    [​IMG]

Dan Armstrong Modified Danelctro bass
    [​IMG]

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    IF I remember right, Kent Armstrong also makes a lipstick style pickup set up to drop right into a Fender Jazz bass.