Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The Sound of the Police, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Howdy.
    Well, I'm always thinking about the next Warmoth, however far off that may be...
    I got to thinking about doing something with lipsticks--maybe three in a strat-like configuration on a Lake Placid Blue JBass body...
    I wanted to know what people think about them--how they sound, experiences good or bad, etc.
    I was also wondering if people knew of any basses eqipped with lipsticks they can point me to, other than Danos, of course. I already know about them.
    I have one on my resonator and I dig it, but it's a whole different creature, what with its hollowness and all.
    Also, if anyone knows who makes bass lipsticks and can suggest a brand...

I figured it might provide me with a great vintage sounding surf bass, what with playing in a surf band and all.

Thanks a lot folks,

Kenan O'Brien
  2. Fascinating...
    Thanks for the info.
    Active lipsticks, though? Seems kinda oxymoronic to me.
    I'd love to check one out. I'll keep an eye out.

3. Yeah,

The preamp with those pickups seemed weird to me at first too, but it did sound good. You can always bypass the preamp on the Jerry scheff bass to hear what they sound like that way.
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thinking to something like this?

5. The Warwick Fortress Flashback has a Lipstick J and a Lipstick Humbucker. From what I have heard this give a nice, warm tone.

But I could be wrong.

Rock on
  6. Yep, the Warwick Fortress Flashback (I've got the 5 stringer) has MEC lipsticks, a single-coil and a humbucker with coil tap. Warm enough tone for me, even though it's completely passive.