1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Liquid Bandage

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nico Zottos, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Nico Zottos

Nico Zottos

Jul 29, 2012
    Hey guys I have a question...I've heard liquid bandages mentioned a few times here regarding sore fingers or cuts. I was unfortunately bit by a dog on my index finger today and I have a show to play tomorrow but if I were to play with nothing on my finger the wound would just open up and get worse due to the strings. I tried practicing today with a bandaid but it kept falling off no matter how tight i wrapped it. My question is, for those who have used them, would liquid bandages be good to look into for a situation like this? I'm not very familiar with them so I'm not sure of their uses.

Thanks for the help guys!

2. I wouldn't whipe my hind-end with that, much less for what your're talkin' about usin' it for.

TWO WORDS

SUPER GLUE

3. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    I've worked in patient care at various hospitals over 20 years and I use (multiple coats) of a liquid bandage to prevent infection...but I doubt that anything short of Krazy glue or duct tape will hold up to playing bass on roundwounds

Good luck

4. No!!! I got a vertical cut on left middle finger. Nice coat of that **** lasted 3 hours and no pain. Great stuff

5. JEBassman

JEBassman Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    I agree, the liquid bandage can be very good. +1 for applying more than one layer. It might look odd but the stuff works.

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    LOL yah dude super glue at the dollar store works great.
    unless you wanna pay more for the same stuff
    but called "liquid bandage"

I think that was the whole reason super glue came about.
    great for quickly sealing wounds in battle,
    end of world war 2 I think

7. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Agreed, super glue is probably your best bet. Careful though, I'm not sure how good cyanoacrylate is for open wounds.

If the wound is really big or won't seal up, you can also get some athletic tape (the woven white kind) and wrap it around your finger like a rock climber. Wrap it once or twice around your finger just below the first knuckle, then the next wrap should go diagonally-left across the front of your tip, pass over your nail in the back, the wrap diagonally-right across the front, then over the back of your tip, repeating until the inside of your tip is covered. If you've done it right it should be pretty tight and have a nice herring bone pattern over the inside of your finger tip.

It may only last a few songs at a time (especially if you have a heavy attack) and it might change your tone a little, but I've used it for finger injuries at gigs before, and this kind of wrap even stays on pretty tight when you're crimping on sandstone :)

Have a killer gig.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    IME, liquid bandage is insufficiently durable. You want super glue!

9. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Or you might just buck up and play with a pick, or try using middle and ring finger. In addition to the super glue, you might try electrical tape to keep it covered and insulated.