Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Liquid Tension Experiment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThePaste, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Do yourself a favour and download Acid Rain from the band LTE, especially if you like hard rock!!!! I can't believe how awesome they are.

Just had to tell someone!!!!

2. lol

lol Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Lyon (France)
    buy the two albums of LTE then buy all albums of Dream Theater as LTE is 75% of DT..

3. I'm thinking about it! So who's in the band? I mean, what are the names of the people in LTE?

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I thought that LTE was 50% of DT.

Tony Levin, Jordan Rudess, John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy.

Only the last 2 are in DT.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    liquid tension experiment is a great band...one of the radiomen on my submarine turned me on to those guys because he saw me playing my bass in the weapons office...he was like, hey, man...check out this bassist. i put on his headphones and i knew right away three of the members in the band. the jordan guy, i had never heard of, but petrucci, portnoy ( :mad: gawd, i HATE that guy...what an ass), and levin definitely have their own voice. as far as dream theater side projects go, check out platypus, which is john myung's band...awesome...

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Platypus is cool. And Ty Tabor(King's X) is in that project. One of my favorite guitarists, and IMHO one of the most underrated guitarists out there.

7. lol

lol Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Lyon (France)
    Jordan Rudess is an official DT member since 1999 when they fired Derek Sherinian..
    but, you're not totally wrong as when the LTE albums were made, JR wasn't in DT.

Personally I don't like Platypus that much, it's not a bad project (the musicians are very good) but you can't feel that little "magic" you can find in LTE..

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, you're right...i find that, while john myung is an excellent bassist, he seems to be more "mechanical." i really can't find another word to describe his playing. ty tabor is awesome, but the feel myung puts out seems to put a damper on the overall feel of the tunes. LTE seems to be more spontaneous and just grooves...maybe i'm just biased because i think the papa bear is awesome :D

9. lol

lol Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Lyon (France)
    What is the most incredible in LTE is that they wrote and recorded each album in one week (a little more for the second), and some of the songs are first take jams!
    That prove the amazing talent those musicians have..

To speak about Platypus, I think that when they entered the studio, the biggest parts were already written by Ty Tabor and Derek Sherinian, so the 2 others musicians (Myung and Morgenstein) couldn't express themselves that much.

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    LTE rules.

and if you like this genre, i would check out the side project of Magellan's keyboard player Trent Gardner (he is an amazing songwriter)

Explorer's Club- Age of Impact

they have a new record coming soon, titled raising the mamoth.

it features my favorite drummer Terry Bozzio, and on Age of Impact they have Billy Sheehan on bass, with John Myung playing bass on raising the mamoth. these guys are great, and you can probably find it under the Dream Theater section of your local music store