Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

List *at least three* bassist who have influenced you in order of complexity...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...but list only those that have influenced your playing in some way.

For example:

3) James Jamerson
    2) Geddy Lee
    1) Paul McCartney

You may disagree with the particular order, but this is an order that makes sense to me. Discussing is fine, music is subjective. (Rule: No bashing other people's choices: F'rinstance:

Apologies if there happens to be a registered member with that handle. :D

If you want, add the name of a tune that helped you choose that order, like an upright players list (Yeah them too, why not) might go like this:

3) Oscar Pettiford - Tricotism
    2) Charles Mingus - Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat
    1) Paul Chambers - All Blues

And if you want, mix them up! (It's all bass:D )

4) Jaco
    3) Anthony Jackson
    2) Stanley Clarke (Doublers are wildcards! Lol.)
    1) Bill Wyman

I think that's fair... :eyebrow:

It doesn't have to boil down to chops. All musical aspects considered. Ties are ok.

Do it by style if you want. Make the list as long as you want, but pick at least three.

I'll post mine later...

2. 1. John Paul Jones - The Lemon Song
    2. Geezer Butler - Warpigs/Iron Man
    3. Paul McCartney - Come Together

Those are what made me choose bass... :smug:

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Here are my three:
    1. Dominique DiPiazza - Que Alegria (Specifically the chordal bits)
    2. Rob DeLeo - Entire Repetoire
    3. Sting

4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    1. Chris Squire - Heart of the Sunrise
    2. Geddy Lee - Red Barchetta
    3. Paul McCartney - Paperback Writer

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    1. Anthony Jackson - "Clouds" on Naughty by Chaka Khan

2. Stanley Clarke - "Lopsy Lu" self titled Album

3. Larry Graham - "The Jam" Ain't No 'Bout A Doubt It

Marcus Miller needs to be up there somewhere too. I guess "Run for Cover" from the David Sanborn album "Voyuer" was when I first realized how great Marcus Miller is. By the way, I don't feel that Jaco was a more complex player than Anthony Jackson, he was more flashy and over the top, but no one is deeper than Anthony Jackson, IMO. ;)

6. 1. Geddy Lee - his bass playing just speaks to me
    2. Donald "Duck" Dunn
    3. Meshell Ndegeocello

7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I like your list, Dr. Cheese. I'm going to keep an eye out for those recordings you mentioned. I agree on the AJ thing, but I need to hear more of his stuff. It's hard not to Lionize Jaco.

You can add to your list too, by the way.

8. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    1. Paul McCartney - Getting Better
    2. Bakithi Kumalo - Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes, The Coast
    3. Jim Creeggan - Straw Hat & Old Dirty Hank, When I Fall, Places

9. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    My choices won't necessarily be about songs just overall.

3)Billy Gould-Prime example of playing for the song.
    2)Paul McCartney-Great songwriter, Great bassplayer 'Nuff said.
    1)Trevor Roy Dunn-This guy does not get the credit he deserves.

10. IM going by the order of what I mainly listen/ed too over my 4 years of playing bass. Sort of from simplest to hardest, But you'l get the picture.

1. Jeordie White (Twiggy Ramirez) He got me to play bass, Even if he isnt a great platyer, I loved his live Thunderbird sound from when he was playing for M Manson.

2. Justin Chancellor/Paul D'Amour. I bought Tool's Lateralus, And was just amazed at the time, Then I went out and bought AEnima And was even more inspired, Especialy by the song Third Eye. Paul has also equally influenced me so thats why these both are in the same number.

3. Juan Alderete, He's basically a unknown, But hes an amazing player, And he fits in with The Mars Volta great, ALot better than Flea did on the first album.

I havent really been influenced by that many players cause havent really given the likes of Mr Wooten and Jaco the time to really listen to them. I will one of these days, But the three I listed above are my biggest.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I need to give a list of my favorite "rock" bass cuts also:

1.Jeff Berlin - "Joe Frazier"

2.Percy Jones - "Don't Make Waves" Forgot the name, Phil Collins in the group

3. John Wetton - "In the Dead of Night" UK

Once again Chris Squire "Roundabout" and Geddy Lee "Early Distant Warning" have to rank in my list somewhere also.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    3.) Tony Franklin -the first "Firm" disc
    though I'd always loved bass and played a short while before I knew who he was... his voice was the first to really make me look for my own.

2.) Mike Watt -fIREHOSE "Ragin full-on" disc
    I lived in a "hard rock" town in a "hard rock" age.... I met a guy through a guitarist who had just moved to my area from the twin cities.... He said "you play bass, check this!". It blew my mind and changed my outlook on me and my music.

1.) Tony Levin -the entire Peter Gabriel catalog. "So", "Secret World Live" and "Up" are what I go to most.
    I liked a tune or 2... but blew Peter's stuff off when "Big Time" hit. Silly pop crap! My old man bought the album and hearing it on his Hi-Fi system made me take notice to exactly how disjointed and unattached Mr. Levin was.... yet was always the *exact* line, phrase, vibe for the song

13. 3.Brian Ritchie- Add It Up
    2. Ron Royce- Masked Jackal, Son of Lilith, Skeleton On Your Shoulder
    1. Steve Harris- The Trooper, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Wrathchild,- most songs from Maiden's glory days, especially the entire "Powerslave" record.

I realize that the latter two are metal, but....hey. :D

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Very difficult, not because of player #1, but the two runners-up are really complicated to me. After lots of thinking, here are the envelopes:

3- Tony Oppenheim: His "Slap It!" book gave me a solid foundation on the style.

2- Jaco. He showed me that fingerstyle bass isn't only neck pickup and bass frequencies. Also taught me to play closer to the bridge and harmonics.

1- Stu Hamm: I'm pretty sure that I'm his BIGGEST fan on earth. Enough said.

One of the most difficult things was leaving Victor Wooten out because I find his playing very inspiring, but I haven't nailed his double thumping technique which is a key component in his music, so he's out. Geddy Lee was another one. I love his concept and can play many Rush tunes, but never approximated his amazing tone.

15. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Brand X, from Product, their last album. Some tracks played by John Giblin, a great bassist himself.

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    3. Trevor Dunn
    2. Dan Maines
    1. Nick Oliveri

I am just recently getting into Micheal Henderson also.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Blackbird, I'm wondering which version of All Blues you're referring to, as it was Paul Chambers on the original Kind of Blue record and for an additional 5 years up until Carter joined up in '64.

1. Scott LaFaro - My Man's Gone Now (w/ Bill Evans)
    2. Victor Wooten - Overjoyed
    3. Christian McBride - Honeysuckle Rose (w/ Jane Monheit), Temptation (w/ Diana Krall)
    4. Jaco - Bright Size Life and Sirabhorn (w/ Pat Metheny)
    5. Ray Brown - Night Train (w/ Oscar Peterson)

Scott LaFaro opened my eyes to the absolute heights I can aspire to when it comes to improvisation, and finding that musical partner with whom "chemistry" is the biggest understatement you can make.

Victor Wooten was the first person I ever heard do anything real with the bass, and while Overjoyed isn't his own composition, it's a great cut that shows off his supreme musicality, not JUST his chops. While a very technically demanding song, IMO, it's one of his highest recorded achievements. Beautiful.

Christian was the first uber-chops guy I heard on DB, and his playing on Honeysuckle Rose from Jane Monheit's "Taking a Chance on Love" made me want to play DB. His playing on Diana Krall's "Temptation" from the Girl in the Other Room made me want to play DB in the thumb position with not only impeccable chops, but a huge fat tone and intonation so spotless you could serve a full course meal on it.

Jaco has influenced just about every but of my playing, but the album Bright Size Life is a great place to look for the tastiest of his playing. Tone, tone, tone, groove, incredible melodic playing and soloing overall.

Ray Brown has been a continual influence, whether it's his undeniably distinct and unique voice on the instrument, the way he plays with time, or the sheer power of his tone. The first DB solo I ever heard was the one he did on Night Train, which, incidentally, was the first track of the album of the same name that was my first introduction to real jazz -- and what an introduction! He, more than anyone else, makes me forget what a pain in the ass it is to transport the DB, how much gear I could've bought by now if I hadn't put so much money into my own DB, and just about everything else, because he, more than anyone else, exemplifies the sound.

18. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You got me. I just pulled my copy of Kind of Blue out. Haven't heard it in a long time (obviously)

I'm more into The Birth of the Cool and just got Filles de Kilimanjaro (This one with Carter).

I've edited my original post. Thanks!

19. snake

snake

Jul 21, 2004
    Aurora. CO
    1. Tim Bogert
    2. Paul McCartney
    3. Greg Ridley

20. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Jaco
    Bakithi Khumalo
    Sting
    Tony Levin

These are kind of obvious, I know...

Jaco made me say "Holy S**t!", "You can do that on a bass?", and, "Maybe I should quit", in that order...

Bakithi just floored me with his huge sound and sliding lines on Graceland

Sting's The Soul Cages has some of my all time favorite lines, including: All this time and Fragile

And anything I could say about Tony Levin has already been said.