Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

list must-have Bass DVD's

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by AJ Love, Oct 18, 2002.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    which DVD's are out now (that feature great bassists) that you feel are must-have DVD's for any bassist?

I have the Victor Wooten at Bass Day DVD and Bela Fleck "Live at the Quick", both of which are GREAT for live Victor.....I also have Marcus Miller live which some people don't like but i really enjoy (Marcus is a bad-ass and he has Kenny Garrett in the band)

what else?

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    YES - "Keys To Ascension".
    2.5 hours of great playing by everyone in the band (Squire stands out the most though, IMO).
    The best $20 you'll ever spend, I highly recommend it!

3. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    I like stefan lessards playing on listener supported but

RISING LOW

it's a mike gordon documentary and it's awesome it's all about the bass and has interview with Mike Watt Oteil jack Casady John Enthwistle Jack bruce Flea Meshell NDege Ochello Mike Gordon himself Phil Lesh, Willie weeks, and others. I'd say it's the number one DVD bass players should own

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'll second the nod to Rising Low!.........hearing these guys talking about bass......not chops, but bass is very cool;)

5. The Who and Special Guests Live at the Royal Albert Hall.

Entwistle's "bass cam" is pretty cool.

6. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    LOL......the bass cam was worth the price of that C.D. for me:D

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    a couple of favorites that i own are "you're the one" (previously mentioned)

Hey Dan, ever notice how vincent nguini's guitar will change from a hollow-body gibson to a gretch mid-song ;)? I had no idea it was filmed over two concerts until i noticed that. great production, imo.

An other one of my favorites is "shadows and light" (joni mitchell.) One of the best line ups i've seen (jaco, metheny, michael brecker, lyle mays, don alias, joni mitchell, and the persuasions.)

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    King Crimson's double trio with Trey Gunn & Tony Levin is also very cool!

9. "Live: Blood, Sweat, and Beers" by Niacin with Billy Sheehan

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Joe Satriani's Live In San Francisco has Stu Hamm on it.

Plays great but dresses horribly. :p

I also like Roger Glover's grooves on Deep Purple's Total Abandon - Live In Australia `99. Steve Morse owns this performance though :)
    DT's Metropolis 2000 is also nice. I especially like the alternative audio track for the video, which has the band talking about the concert as they watch it.

11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    but that custom Fender (Stu Hamm signature) in sparkly red and grey was one of the sexiest basses i have ever seen... (he uses it on the bass solo)

yes, he needs some "fashion emergency" going on for him :)

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    also, keep the DVD recomendations coming... im writting a list of "what to buy" right now

13. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    I was just watching a good PFunk Dvd called the mothership connection and although you can't see the bass player for most of it it's pretty funky sounding and he's got some killer lines

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'll second Joni's Shadows & Light DVD with Jaco.

Something else I like is the 1981 Woodstock Jazz Festival w/ Corea, Metheny, Braxton, DeJohnette, & Miroslav Vitous. Vitous plays one of the nastiest bowed bass solos I've heard(and I do not like bowed bass, per se).

15. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    As with a lot of concert DVDs/ VHS that Prince concert has a lot of overdubbing.......a lot like any recent Earth Wind & Fire concert film. The same with the excellent Last Waltz by the Band....there is a lot of Rick Danko overdubbing going on....just check out the Joni Mitchell song;)

16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    For a player into jazz, especially Latin stuff, you must own the "Calle 54" DVD!

17. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    yeah that calle 54 is really good they even have a good clip of the michel Camilo trio with anthony jackson and a rotating drummer. I think it's horacio on the new one. anyway it's an incredible DVD and check out michel' new cd Triangelo too

18. suchow

suchow

Mar 18, 2002
    New York, NY
    The two best bass performances I have seen on DVD are Anthony Jackson w/the Michel Camilo trio on 'Calle 54', and Jaco on Joni Mitchell's 'Shadows & Light'. Any serious bassist should own these and learn from them.

19. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Mudvayne's "Live in Peoria"

20. I've listed some of these elsewhere, but here they are again, plus or minus :)

--- The Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense - Tina Weymouth, poppy, funky, awesome! One of THE best concert films EVER!

--- U2: Elevation (Live in Boston) - Adam Clayton layin' it down...great concert.

--- Yes: Symphonic Live - This, along with Keys To Ascension, are the prime Yes DVD's so far (they're supposed to be making one of the current tour as well, and Rick Wakeman is with them again :) ) Watching Chris Squire for a couple of hours will surely inspire you to play!

--- Roger Waters: In the Flesh - This is a totally mind-blowing concert! Awesome Floyd tunes, Roger's solo stuff is also outstanding, and a fantastic backing band. Roger primarily plays bass, of course, and at other times it's very well-played by Andy Fairweather Low. I can't recommend this DVD high enough!

--- G3: Live in Concert (Vai, Satch, and Eric Johnson) - This is a cool DVD! Stu Hamm plays on several of the tracks (no bass solo; get the Satriani Live in 'Frisco for that), and you also get Roscoe Beck doing some great stuff on Eric Johnson's songs...RB sounded great! This is a fun disc!