1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

List of battery-powered amps: prices, wattage, links.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnny_bolt, Apr 12, 2017.

1. johnny_bolt

johnny_bolt Gold Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Hey everyone, I combed through the forum for battery-powered amp recommendations, and collected all the info in this google spreadsheet. Here's a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 9.30.20 PM.png

There are lots of kinds of amps here — bass, acoustic instrument, PA — but somewhere along the line, they were all recommended for electric or double bass.

If you have suggestions or feedback, go ahead and comment directly on the sheet, or drop me a line. If I can figure out how to make it editable by everyone, I'll do that.

The Crate has the best Watts/$$ ratio, but I'm a little hesitant to buy one used: Rechargeable batteries lose their ability to gain a charge after a certain number of cycles.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    thanks for doing this.
    i'm assuming the stated output is just marketing. it would be nice to have them all lined up to compare.
    Maybe add: AER compact mobile2 (~$1500) , Artec Avenue50 ( ~$300), Pignose Hog

3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Thank you...this topic seems to come up almost weekly on the forum, it should be a "stickied" topic.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  4. johnny_bolt

Mar 28, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Yep, I am looking for "RMS", but past that, I'm giving the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt. Didn't know about AER; thanks! I'll add them.

5. tonequixote

tonequixote

Feb 6, 2004
    Maine
    Phil Jones Double Four 70 watt should be on the list.

6. johnny_bolt

Mar 28, 2017
    Las Vegas
  7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i think pignose still makes the hog 30
    a rockin 6 watts below 150 dollars

8. plav1959

plav1959

May 7, 2016
    Orlando, FL
    Blackstar Bass Fly

9. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
  10. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

The Phil Jones Double Four is setup to be able to use a laptop battery, which Phil Jones recommends on their site. I have that and it works great. That's the battery on the left being held by the amp carry strap.

PJ wire guides.jpg

I also have this Blackstar Bass Fly 3 for gigs I do at hospitals with 5 members of my ukulele group. I hang it on me because we're not allowed to set down anything, not even music stands as we move from room to room. I added a shoulder strap and Velcroed them together. (That's my custom fretless bass uke 21.5" scale with Aquila Thunder Reds.)

Wearable Fly 3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    johnny_bolt likes this.
  11. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    WOW! That shoulder strap setup is cool. How does it feel against your stomach with the vibration?

12. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I don't feel anything, but I keep the volume on the low side since we're in such close quarters.

13. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    does carvin still sell the stagemate?

Wow, they really improved over the previous version.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  14. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    Rockville RAM12BT

15. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    Behringer MPA40BT-Pro

16. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    This does look interesting! Has anyone tried it with a 5-string bass?

edit: of course there are many battery powered PA speakers so I think mentioning them all would kinda derail this thread...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  17. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    not so sure any of these battery amps really produce anything below
    80 hz anyhow, so it may not matter if they are called " bass" or not.
    Would be nice to have a stand alone battery powered head that could pair up with
    different speakers.

18. zorf

zorf

Dec 27, 2007
    Saw that the carvin stagemate has a companion "400 watt" sub that also runs on batteries. Yow!

johnny_bolt likes this.
  19. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I guess a mod for two 9V batteries to use with the Thunder Bass_Hotone shouldn't be too hard. But I don't think there's a market for that, kinda defeats the purpose if you have to carry both a head and a cab to use outside. If it is to use with cabs that are already elsewhere, chances are that there's also wall power there. If it's battery powered to take and use outside, it should be a combo.
    Anyway, I used to practice with a pair of 5" Tascam monitors and they were sufficient, and I was looking for a small solution to permanently have at my bedroom. I think I'll give the Behringer a try, I can see it also coming in handy in several other occasions (jams, speeches, demonstrations etc).