1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

List of Class D manufacturers/models

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Axtman, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I did some quick research and came up with the following manufacturers and their model of Class D amp. I am sure there are others so please add to the list.

Carvin
    BX500
    BX1500

Genz Benz
    Shuttle 3.0
    Shuttle 6.0
    Shuttle 9.0
    ShuttleMax 6.0
    ShuttleMax 12.0

SWR
    Amplite
    Headlite

Eden
    WTX264
    WTX500
    WTX1000N

MarkBass
    MoMarkLMK
    MoMark SA500
    MoMark TA500
    MoMark SD800
    Little Mark III
    F500
    Little Mark 800
    Little Mark Tube
    Little Mark Tube 800
    Little Mark Rocker 500
    Little Mark 250
    Little Mark II
    LMK
    F1
    SA 560
    SD 800
    SD1200
    TA 501
    TA 503
    TSA 500
    Classic 300
    R500

2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Gallien-Krueger's MB Series amps are class D.
    MB 200
    MB 500
    MB Fusion

3. sconix

sconix Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2004
    High Point, NC
    About half the MarkBass you listed are A/B amplifiers. All have SMPS (switch mode power supply), but that does not make it a class d amplifier. Aguilar's 500 series use a class d power section (or as tripath called it class t)

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ampeg SVT-7Pro and SVT-8Pro

EA Micro, Doubler, Pro

Ibanez Promethean

Orange Terror Bass and Terror Bass 1000

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Euphonic Audio
    iAmp Micro
    iAmp Doubler
    iAmp Pro

MM

6. TC Electronic
    RH 450
    Classic 450

Ashdown
    Little Giant 350
    Little Giant 1000

Tec amp
    Puma 500
    Bad Bull
    Black Cat
    Performer 1000

7. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    Phil Jones D-200 & (D-600 supposed to coming on the market in Jan' 2011)

8. kevmoga

kevmoga Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Georgia
    Looking at the OP's listing, I'm struck by the sheer number of offerings from Markbass. Anyone care to comment on why there are so many flavors of Markbass amps and the major distinctions between them?

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Walter Woods Electracoustic models.

10. :D Lots of different power levels and voicing... amazing line of heads.

To the OP, and in the spirit of your request, the LMII/III, LMTube, and all the other 500 watt models are not class D amps, they are traditional class A/B amps. They do use SMPS, which is why they are so light.

Class of power amp is becoming pretty much a zero issue. Listen to a TecAmp Puma500, a Markbass F1, a GL MB500, a Genz Shuttle 6, and a Markbass SD800 and then describe to me what a 'class D' tone is, or what a class D amp sounds like. There is no class D sound, just another way to get generate relatively transparent power so that the voicing of the pre comes through (albeit in a more efficient, small and hence lightweight format).

What the OP is more likely asking is for a list of SMPS amps, which are, by definition, small and lightweight, regardless to the type of power amp used.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, not necessarily. And this can go for class-D, too. While both switch-mode power supplies and class-D topography do allow for smaller, lighter amps (and this is where they are most frequently used), I would not say that SMPS amps are by definition small and light. For instance, the Ampeg SVT-8Pro, while not overly cumbersome, is a "full-size" 2U head, weighing in at 23 lbs. That's not bad for an amp capable of putting over 2k watts, but it's a good bit larger than a 5-lb micro head.

But this does raise a good point in that the power supply technology (SMPS) is just as big of a factor as the output section technology (class-D) in this equation.

12. +1. Another example seems to be the new Epifani 501, which is a class A/B amp with SMPS... so light, but not necessarily small.

13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Tom, doesn't Peavey's VB-3 utilize SMTP technology to help reduce its weight down to 37 lbs and this is a full sized tube head.

TD

14. +1 Also, the Markbass all tube amp, from what I understand.

To me, SMPS is the big game changer, not the class of power amp.

The Carvin B2000 is another example of a super powerful amp in a very lightweight format that has a class A/B power amp but SMPS.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Another +1 to the SMPS in the VB-3, but the Markbass Classic 300 uses a conventional power supply with a toroidal transformer.

16. Cool. I didn't realize that. Something is strange about that one from what I remember... maybe just that autobiasing thing or something. Might be just misremembering the spec.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Basically, the Classic 300 is the exotic love-child of a traditional tube head and a PC. :smug: :p :D It is basically a microprocessor-controlled tube head. The controls do include auto-biasing per tube, but it does a lot more. Tom Lees did a full technical review in issue #2. This is a super cool head, and while it didn't catch on like wildfire, it's still a milestone in amplification technology, in my book.

18. Acoustic Image;

Clarus 1 and Clarus +

19. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    You wouldn't happen to work in the IT field? Where I work SMTP = "Simple Mail Transport Protocol". Not a very common thing to find in bass amps...

SMPS = "Switch Mode Power Supply".

20. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Typo on my part, while I was multitasking. You know what I meant. LOL.

TD