1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

List of direct replacement pickups for American Fender Jazz V?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoshuaTSP, Apr 10, 2009.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    :confused:

2. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    measure your pickup covers. the bridge pickup should be a bit wider than the neck pickup.
    possibly 4 1/8" or something like that. duncan makes a set (67/70mm i think) that will
    fit right. i woulda bought those but i'm gonna go for hum cancelling pickups instead,
    such as Bartolini or Nordstrand split coils

its hard to make a hum cancelling pickup sound as lively as single coils, but i believe
    you can get close.

seymour duncan 67/70
    bartolini-(order by size)
    nordstrand nj5fs

there are others, but this is a good start. go to their webs sites

3. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Correct. The neck is over 3-3/4" and the bridge is over 4"....from my rough measurements.

Which work best for a nice fat clean sound?

I hear the barts are kinda dark?

I dig the tone of the stock MIA pickups....but the low B sucks, noisy and the output is really low.

4. Hawk_GP

Hawk_GP

Oct 5, 2005
    I would call both Bart and Norstrand and they will set you up with exactly what you are looking for. I just put in a set of norstrands and couldn't be happier.

Also check out Bill Lawrence.

5. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Nordstrand has both single coil and stacks that are drop in for the Jazz V.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    is this the passive american standard V? try this first: wire the stock pickups in series, instead of the normal parallel. your B will all of a sudden be deep and powerful, instead of twangy and lacking like it is now.

7. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm going to try that right now and report back!

8. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
  9. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    no, that's stock parallel wiring.

10. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    oh....really? :confused:?

Looks like series to me.....black wire goes from V1 to V2 to tone to output?

11. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i like a simple version which lets all three knobs still work, which i can't seem to find a picture of anywhere. i guess i'll just have to man up and make a diagram and post it myself.
    (lots of examples of push/pull series/parallel, like this, though.)

12. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I'd rather not put in a switch.....just one or the other.....

I couldn't find anything either.....I would greatly appreciate it if you could post a diagram.

13. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that will work, and will let you hear what it sounds like. it's basically just a p-bass diagram, so you'll only get one volume (no blending).

[edit: except the volume and tone pots are both wrong! the pickup goes into the far lug and the center lug goes to the jack. look at a proper p-bass diagram to see how it's done.]
    you're going to be hooking the black of one pickup straight to the white of the other, and using the other (free) ends as the hot and ground of the series humbucker you've just created. as such, be sure that the black pickup wires are not hooked to the grounding screws in the pickup cavities. those screws still need to be wired to ground, just not through the pickup wires.

i'm still working on the 2-volume diagram (right now it's a pencil drawing, i need to figure out some sort of "paint" or "draw" program).

14. ... and split coils (NJ5FS), which I put in my Jazz V and like a lot.

15. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I just tried the actual series wiring......I did it like the HC thread specifies......

Basically, it sounds like a P bass.....loud, punchy, and full......rolled off high end.

It's a refreshing change....that's for sure. I have rehearsal this week....and I'll see how it works out. If it works out well, I'll just do the series/parallel push/pull pot.....

While it sounds good, I don't know if I can ditch the standard Jazz setup.

Although.....with two volumes with the pickups in series......that would be ideal. :)

16. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'm gettin' there!

the side effect of two volumes in series is that when you turn one down, you get a big volume drop.

also, you might like the pickups adjusted a pinch lower in series mode, especially on the bass side.

17. MarcusPocus

MarcusPocus

Aug 28, 2008
    Allen, Tx
    I just stuck the Nordstrand NJ5f in and while the B is tighter and fuller, I lost a lot of the things I liked. For example, the mid range kinda honk that comes from the solo'd Bridge pup and the tone rolled back (super jazzy), Its gone. The tone control sounds more like the cab is being covered by a blanket. I am still setting up so they may be OK or they may be in the classifieds next week when I go back to the stock.

18. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You can try going to a smaller value tone cap, like a .02uF. The Nords are probably higher resistance, so the tone control is reacting at a lower frequency.

I love that midrange honk with the tone backed off a bit. I use that tone all the time. :bassist:

19. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    ok, one crappy MS paint diagram, coming up!
    JazzBassSeriesWiringDiagram.