1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

List of Neodymium Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAJORA64, Jan 23, 2021.

1. MAJORA64

MAJORA64

Oct 12, 2011
    Atlantic Canada
    Hey y'all, thought I'd make a list thread for all bass builders and pickup manufacturers that use and sell rare earth neodymium pickups for any interested. Here are the ones I have found so far:

COMPANIES THAT USE NEODYMIUM PICKUPS

Bass Mods
    Dingwall
    Ernie Ball Musicman
    Jerry Drozd Basses
    Ritter Basses

NEODYMIUM PICKUP MANUFACTURERS

Bass Mods
    Egilegor Basses
    Entwistle Pickups
    Ezi Pickups (Defunct)
    Herrick Pickups
    Q-Tuner Pickups
    Reed James Custom

If y'all have any additions or corrections I'll revise the list.

bholder likes this.
  2. @MAJORA64

I can personally vouch for both Entwistle and Herrick.

You can add Revelation Guitars to your list. This UK company has close ties to Alan Entwistle so it's no surprise their instruments come with his pickups.

https://www.revelationguitars.co.uk/

Entwistle may appear cheaply priced but there's no denying they perform.

Here are the screen shots from my A/B of Entwistle Neos vs Duncan QPs. Both basses were Peavey Zodiacs strung with new Rotosound Nexus, stock pots/caps in each and same pickup heights. No altering of settings, just hit record.

Duncan Zodiac.jpg Entwistle Zodiac.jpg

MAJORA64 likes this.
  3. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Nordstrand makes the Dingstrand Nordwall pickups, which are basically the Dingwall pickup made for the aftermarket. Those are a Neo pickup.
    Dingstrand Nordwall 5

4. MAJORA64

MAJORA64

Oct 12, 2011
    Atlantic Canada
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You can add Marco Bass Guitars in Dallas OR to your list as well. Marco has been winding his own neo pickups for many years and does them in quite a few different formats, but only for his own instruments: www.marcobassguitars.com

Disclaimer: Marco Cortes is an occasional customer of mine in a very loose casual hobby business sense.

6. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Passinwind and Freekmagnet like this.
  7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I have kind of pondered on trying the Entwistle PBXN neodymium P pickup out, wouldn't exactly be the biggest amount of money to take a bet on, and I am quite curious to try out a neodymium pickup.

According to that screenshot they seem to be absurdly hot, but how are they tone wise?

Like in terms of tonal balance, bass, low mids, mids, high mids and treble, clarity, articulation and dynamic response, and how would you compare them to for instance the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder P, the DiMarzio Model P, and the EMG Geezer Butler P (I would prefer a comparison with those 3 specific P pickups, as that is the P pickups I have most experience with and know how sounds)?

Also doesn't such a hot output give issues with it potentially clipping the input stage of effect pedals and similar?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    do lace alumitones use neodymium?

9. Clank Plank

Clank Plank

Dec 26, 2020
    England
    Or you could re-magnet existing pickups with neo magnets. Thats what I did with a cheap seat of PJ humbuckers, and it was a very successful operstion.

kodiakblair likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021