List of Pedals Most Likely To Be Stolen

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, Oct 14, 2006.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I thought it might be a good idea to compile a list of pedals that would be tempting for others to swipe. There are some "Holy Grail" type pedals out there and a number of rare or discontinued pedals that would be hard to replace if stolen. With some of the crazy prices that some of these pedals sell for on the 'Bay, I could see how someone might be tempted to clepto stuff from your pedalboard. The ones that come to mind are:

MuTron III (Original)
    Akai Unibass
    Akai Deep Impact
    Ibanez TS-808 (Original)
    Boss CE-1
    Boss DM-2/3
    Lovetone Meatball

I know there are others, so please.....let's hear it.

2. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Digitech WH-1 and Bass Whammy

3. Anything by Lovetone. They've stopped making/selling the Meatball (again) and the only place a Meatball or anything else by Lovetone is on E'bay.
    Boss Slow Gears (SG-1) go for serious money.
    Roland Space Echo's
    Roland Space Chorus (same design as the Space Echo but more reverb and chorus than tape delay)

'Bout it I think, there are some more but I forget what they are...

4. Most vintage and discontinued effects.

5. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Since Ampeg has now reissued the "Scrambler" it just didn't make sense to use an original ... there were only around 2000 made and that was in 1969, it is considered by some to be the "Holy Grail" at least in a production pedal.

:) ... So I sold the one I had for a cool $1000.00 on Ebay... better than someone running off with it!

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    anything by the company Way Huge (legendary and now defunct).
    boss sg-1 slow gear.
    early ibanez and maxon pedals.
    script logo mxr pedals.
    tycobrahe octavia.

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    These might be more for guitarists, but:

'60's Arbiter Fuzz Face
    Original Ross Gray Compressor
    Thomas Organ Vox and Crybaby Wahs
    Original Big Muff Pi

Keep them coming.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IMO the odds of having a particular pedal stolen is little to none. Vintage holy grail effects are known by few. Your average person can't tell the difference between an original Mutron and a Boss Flanger.

9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    yeah, but unfortunately, there's always gonna be a few guys who know what they're looking for.....

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Think about it, I think any Boss pedal will have a better chance of being stolen than a vintage or boutique box.

Unless you have a dishonest thief with a knowledge of vintage effects, but I think the chances of those are slim enough.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I think the problem might be (in some cases) that people don't know what some of their own pedals are worth. Things getting passed down and such........

I didn't realize that effects pedals could be worth so much until I started visiting TB. I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one, either. Musicians who have moral flexibility and know their gear, know exactly what to grab.

Knowing what I know now, I think it's a good idea to have backups for rare or expensive pedals, or at least understand that the possibility of getting ripped off is very real.

Then again......maybe I'm just paranoid.

12. AckAckAttack

AckAckAttack

Aug 27, 2006
    Are there that many people that would take the time to take off only one pedal off your board if they had the chance? Wouldn't most people (who are planning to steal it in the first place) just grab the whole pedalboard?

13. This doesn't need to be a list - theifs are opportunistic, therefore they'll take the following:

- whatever is easiest to nab and conceal.

The kind of person who'd steal your pedals is likely the same kind of person who risks jail time to steal $1.73 in small change from your car. Not very bright.

However, if you got some guy who had his shizzit together and was surfing eBay from his mobile phone during your set, then I'd be sure and pack up my:
    - Deep Impact
    - Boss DM-2 (one just sold last week for AUD$345!!!)
    - Bass Microsynth

14. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    sounds like niftydog is the paranoid one.... :smug:

i've heard of people having one pedal ripped off of their whole pedal board... i don't think it's common, but it happens. and it sucks. but that's life. i have reallyREALLYreally strong velcro, and i always make sure to watch my gear as much as possible. but still, anything's possible.

15. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    another one would be:

anything by maxon, specifically an AD900 or AD999.

16. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    Retrospec Squeeze Box?

17. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It might not be well known, but anyone trying to steal my Dredgetone Angler will regret it!

18. Boss VB-2 Vibrato. Sold mine for heaps, even more than the CE-1, DM-2, or SG-1.

19. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    apparently my boss TU-2. it was stolen from my band's practice space (which we share with two other bands). nobody owned up to it, so i had to buy a new one. i'm pretty sure nobody in any of the bands stole it. probably just one of their scumbag friends (we don't allow non-band members in there anymore, unless they happen to stop in to listen).

i'm happier with my planet waves pedal tuner now.

20. Yeah, my Meatball was stolen. Accurate list, that! And dammit all, it was the first version with the headphone-type power jack. Probably could have sold it and bought a new Ashdown or something with the profit. Lame lame lame.

Sorry, just had to vent for a moment!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021