List of Point to Point Tube Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by garmenteros, Nov 30, 2010.

1. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I recently sold/traded my mesa 400+ (It was way too heavy in its rack ATA case along with the tuner and voltage regulator, over the 100 pound mark) for a vintage ripper, USA svt 350 and 400 dollars. I miss the tube sound dearly. I did an A/B comparison with my b15 and univox 1236 (bedroom amps) with my current solidstate heads (acoustic 150 and svt 350 into mesa powerhouse 1000) and its night and day. Im a tube guy at heart. I use solidstate amps in rental practice spaces and I feel somethings missing... I miss the tube sound. I used my 400+ a long while before my friend picked up and I can see why I miss it...

So to the point of this thread... I was looking for information and a list of currently in production point to point tube amps (no boards) and couldn't find anything compiled into a single thread. I'm thinking of unloading all my amp and getting a point to point wired amp. Does anyone know if the b15 reissue is going to be point to point? What about the orange AD 200?

EDIT: I've been adding amps as people mention them in the thread...
    Green Amps
    Fargen Amps
    Reeves 225
    Morgan MP200
    Granger SBVA-300
    Verellen Meat Smoke
    Reinhardt
    Divided by 13
    Old School Amps

Ill update the list as people add to it...

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    The AD200 is ALL PCB.

That said, why does it have to be "All point to point"?

Are turret boards allowed? ;)

3. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    OP: Two more to add to the list...

• Morgan MP200 (200 watt all tube), 8 ohm and 4 ohm outputs, 42 pounds, morganamps.com, $1999
    • Granger SBVA-300 (300 watt all tube), 8 ohm, 4 ohm, 2 ohm outputs, 55 pounds, grangeramp.com, $1799
    I have no affiliation with either.

In answer to Kramer's question, turret boards must be okay since that's what Ben Fargen uses (the OP listed Fargen).

There is also the Verellen Meat Smoke, Reinhardt, Divided by 13, and Old School Amps.

4. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Its a rhetorical, because i don't know of any FULLY point to point 200w tube amps.

None of the amps listed in this thread are really and truly POINT TO POINT....

Just sayin'.... nobody shoot me :bag:

5. Yep... technically as soon as there is any sort of turret board/solder strip/etc./etc. it ain't point to point.

6. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Why point to point? Well a couple of my friends have had their marshall tube amps boards fry and another friend of mines has had similiar experience with a crate blue voodoo... My solid state heads have fried in the past as well... gk 1001rbII... Voltage here is Terrible. I figure its probably easier to fix something point to point and the signal path is more direct...

7. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    This is what I read on greenamps site...

"Take a look at the real Dope in Hardwire, Turret Board, Point to Point, Military Grade Tube Amplifiers.
    Ready for SONIC VOLUME LEVEL OUTPUT and will Handle the Duration of Vibratory Bottom End Tone.
    No printed circuits are found a n y w h e r e in our amp units. "

This leads to the question, Whats the difference between a turret board and a printed circuit?

8. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Divided by 13 TBL200
    Hiwatt DRs
    Reinhardt Bass Amp
    Verellen Meatsmoke

I'm sure I'll think of more...

9. Hi.

PTP is just a positive marketing slogan, just as hard wired and hand wired. That's a bit silly, as the PTP was not considered a quality construction method back in the day. And rightly so.

No-one in their right mind would manufacture a true PTP design nowadays, and for several good reasons.

Anyone who's ever serviced one will understand, the rest, well, they wouldn't care ;).

Regards
    Sam

10. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Still, there's something nice about using an item into which went many hours of work (presumably). The proof is in the sound, whether it's PTP, PCB, PCP, BBQ. I happen to like a particular PTP amp myself.

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the new, soon to be released, ampeg B15N.
    FWIW, as an amp tech since '73, even though turret boards and terminal strips are not literally considered point to point, i consider them to be, since the components are soldered 'point-to-point' to each other or use hand soldered jumpers/wires to connect them (instead of pcb traces).

and they are a pleasure to repair and and service from a tech's 'point' of view ;). i also find them to generally be more rugged and reliable.

12. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound

Nov 29, 2008
    Agreed that PTP with turret boards and terminal strips are easier to service and typically don't have as many solder joint issues as poorly deisgned or manufactured PCB's.

This does not make them sound any better or be less prone to line voltage issues IMO though.

13. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    actually, IMO it can make them sound better, due to the traces on a PCB being all on the same plane can create capcitance in the circuit if the design isn't compensated for it.

14. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Article on the differences here: http://mhuss.com/AmpInfo/

That misses out turret-track, where all the wires you find on a turret board are in pcb style, but the components are on turrets, means you don't have to fiddle with those wires so much, less solder joints to fail etc. whilst having the handyness of turret mount components.

Here's mine, wiring isn't as neat as it could be:

P1010206.

Green amps (as in ones designed by Dave Green at Matamp, the quote above looks very much like the dude from Electric amps, who happens to make green coloured amps) are like this. The amp above is one of Dave's designs. 'True' Matamps (as in Matt Mathias) tend to be on handwired PCB with some turret boards in addition.

15. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    beauty!

16. Good list.

*Point-to-point - Each component is connected to a tube pin or solder lug or jack. There are no "boards" whatsoever. Examples of this style of construction include most old tube hi-fi equipment, 70-era Sunns, and more recently BadCats.

6T9-Tube-Amp-point-to-point.

* Tag Board - the classic Fender and "plexi" construction methods. Most components are soldered to a long board with eyelets. These are in turn connected by wire to the tubes, transformers, pots, etc.

FenderTag.

* Turret Board - The classic Hiwatt/Harry Joyce style, this is similar to tag board construction, but uses metal turrets which extend out from the board, which most of the components are connected to.

HiwattTurret.

* Partial PCB - Used by most modern large manufacturers starting in the late 70s/early 80s. Most components are soldered to a Printed Circuit Board, which has copper lines or traces on the underside of the board surface that the components are soldered to, and which also make circuit connections. Example of this style of construction include the early (vertical input) JCM800s, Biacrown-era Hiwatts, and Soldano SLOs. This method basically used the PCB as an advanced tag board, and many wires are still needed to connect the tubes, etc.

HiwattPCB.

* Total PCB - Used by most modern large manufacturers starting in the mid-80s to the present day. Everything is soldered to a PCB, including pots and tube sockets. This makes it easier and cheaper to manufacture, but harder to service and modify, and there is some question about the reliability of the PCBs holding the sockets of the extremely hot power tubes.

FenderPCB.

17. garmenteros

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Thats some great info right there... I will read up... Judging by the pictures the turret board looks like the most service friendly and cleanest design. I believe my b15n and univox 1236 use turret boards...

18. IME - Turret board and tag board amps are by far the easiest to service.

I'd rather work on PCB's than many actually "point to point" wired tube amps. A lot of them are the proverbial "rats nest" of wires, and tracing them all out can be painful.

...and I don't know about the Univox, but the early B-15s definitely were usually tag board. My B-18 is tag board, the new B-15 re-issue is tag board, and pretty much every gut shot of a '60s B-15 I've seen is tag board.

19. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    My Traynor YBA-3 & YBA-3A are point to point, turret board construction

20. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    I don't understand the issue with PCB-mounted amps. As long as the PCB is thick and solid and the tubes are chassis-mounted to minimize heat flexing (and even then, there are a few PCB-mounted tube amps that have been around for AGES without issue) it's just a case of "pay (significantly) more for a feature that provides a negligible tonal benefit" (aka "voodoo" or "mojo" or "that's the way they did it in the old days.")

IMO and IME, it's all about the components and circuit design rather than what the components are attached to as long as it's not a paper-thin PCB holding tube sockets.

That said, I can't think of any other hand-wired/ptp/turret board/etc. manufacturers that aren't already listed here.