Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

List Price /store Price and you...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Jan 9, 2005.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Do you all consider List price when purchasing a bass ? Or do you only consider the amount you have in your bank account to spend ? How do you feel about makers that sell direct ? Do you think you get a better price from them than from a store that is selling product ?

2. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    usually I know how much i can spend but I always spent more than I had.
    I looked over the different guitar shop to get the lower price before buying.

So yes I care about listprice.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Given a choice, I wouldn't buy online even if it saved me a little money on purchase price. The store I do business with is very good about customer service and if I have a problem I just take whatever it is back and they'll adjust/fix/replace it on the spot and I know who I'm dealing with. If a new piece has to go back to the factory they'll pay for shipping. Even if an online seller offered me the same service, I'd still have to pay for some or all of the shipping and I'd have to do without my bass (or whatever) until they sent it back. Much better to do business with people in person IMO.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ---

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I usually buy used. If i can save 30-40% on the cost of an instrument, i do. Ive only bought new once,and i probably shouldnt have.

6. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    When I find something I want I shop around for the best price and try to get that. With some things I'm okay buying sight unseen via the web, but others (like acoustic guitars for instance) I absolutely have to play the thing before I buy. I don't put much creedence into buying from local shops because the service I've received has by and large been pretty crappy.

7. Everything except a digital instrument sounds different. No 2 bass guitars sound the same or play the same even if they are the same model.

I tried every bass I could get my hands on when I purchased my last one and found the gem of the lot. That being said, I paid less then half the list price for a brand new bass... why? A little bit of luck, but also I researched the bass's prices around the net to get a feel for what their cost would be. That gave me a very good starting point for negotiations. The bass was already priced VERY resonably, but I was able to talk them down even more.

There are certain things I would buy online, such as Microphones, cables, digital pianos etc... but never a guitar.

List price is bs... its what the store in small, remote communities will try and sell the product for. Any good music store will negotiate the price. Try THAT online :oops:

- Andrew

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's my buying criteria and how moneyh plays into it...

1.) First, I never pay more than %75 MSRP for anything, unless I happen to know for a fact the margin is thinner than that (tho it rarely is). In those special cases, I skip to #2 below. I never put myself in a position where I just "have to have it"... otherwise you might as well just bend over, 'cause that's what's gonna' happen to you most times as a result of crumblin' to impulsiveness.

2.) If I love the bass enough, then I pay what they're askin' if I feel it's truly their "best price"... even if it means financing or waiting until I have enough.

Bottom line is, I never just "settle". Been there too many times, and in the long run, you always end up dumping the gear and losing too much money. Also, you're unhappy and possibly even genuinely frustrated the whole time you do have whatever else, 'cause you didn't get what you knew you really wanted in the first place.

The bottom line is, get what you REALLY WANT, and just understand and accept the fact that sometimes you're gonna' have to pay large coin to get it.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    ---

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    ---

11. I think MSRP is all crappola. THe dealer usually pays 1/2 of the MSRP and then the psuedo discount game begins. An honest dealer is entitled to a commission. And the mom and pop places really have taken a hit by the superstores.

The above guideline about not paying more than 75% is good enough.

I generally like to pay dealer cost + 20% of that, plus whatever he paid to ship it.

Used stuff should be 50% of street price new, not MSRP. Of course this makes a lot of assumptions and does not take into account things like collector value.

The above does not apply to some brands like Mesa or factory direct places.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    ---

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    This is actually a pretty interesting discussion, as different people value different things. For some, the price is the bottom line...nothing else matters. For others the guarantee of a quality instrument in pristine condition at a great value accompanied with excellent service are more important than saving a few bucks. I just saw the thread about the TBer who was frustrated with his local store....all of the basses he tried had dead strings and had poor set-ups. Not likely to find a bass with dead strings or a poor set-up at Blueberry Hill (my store), Access Bass, The Low End, etc. :D But, if you're looking to find a bass that is .5% above cost, then your options are probably going to be limited to the superstores who, in all liklihood, will require you to pay for a new set of strings and a set-up before they'll help you with a bass. :)

It is a delicate balance between trying to earn enough to pay the costs of the business, trying to invest enough to have a good selection of basses and brands, and trying to keep prices at a point where you can make the largest number of people happy. The good thing is that there is an outlet that caters to virtually every kind of player. :bassist:

14. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I know what you mean. I used to own a small resturant and while my wholesalers took good care of me, pepsi and coke were both horrible to deal with. They would be like, switch to us and we'll give you this much of a discount. It would last for a while but then they wanted to charge me $1.29 for a 2 liter at wholesale. Hello, I'd buy them across at Giant of Safeway for $.89. My customers would go crazy if I charged $1.89. So I charged $1.39. and made a big $.50. Better than $.10. Later Joe

15. That's exactly why I said in this case it was luck... being in the right place at the right time. I just did a quick search around the net and found many places selling this bass for almost 2 times what I paid for it... I can't explain why this is, but it was definately a real blessing.

And I still stand by my statement about having to try before you buy. Sorry - I honestly mean no harm or offense, but I would personally never buy something as personal as a guitar without trying it first; Its hit and miss. I've seen $300 MIM strats sound WAY better than $1200 MIA's just because someone tried every one until he found the "gem". (mind you, I've seen more great sounding MIA Strats then MIM :) ) Even when spending the big bucks you can still get a dud... at least when you're trying them at the store you don't own it.

For those of you who have purchased online, what would you have done if you got one you didn't like?

-Andrew

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    ---

17. You do have a point there about the driving :)

Only 2 basses eh? That's actually pretty good.

- Andrew

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    So to the consumer list may or may not play a part ? That's what it sounds like.

What about someone like Sadowsky that sells his USA basses mostly direct ? you get quoted a price and that is the price you pay.

19. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    How much off list do you get when buying a Car? How much off list do you get when buying a House? How much off the Menu do you pay when Buying Dinner in a Diner? Even Burger King gets Full price unless it's on special...

So.... what is the value in a List $ if discounts vary so much? I hate the 'Slop' in this business. Price is price.. not a trick to figure out what you should pay. Go to the Mall on holidays. 70% off on pants and shirts... What fool would ever pay the Full price OR what's wrong with the stuff they are selling.

I wish, like mentioned earlier that Price would be Price and the margin givin to the dealer would be the Only discount there is, just as if it were a commission. After all, after paying their overhead, how much skill is there in counting your money. Ever try and find the owner of the average store or larger store? He's out, he's Fishing, He's on Vacation (again?).. etc, etc... That's why they need so much margin... They think once they own a store, they just buy cars, houses and boats with the money.. Sometimes... they pay their bills........This is not how all stores operate BUT, too many of them fall right into this ditch and drag the rest of us down with their shotty business Ethics.

More rant on this if you can take it ! There are alot of good and honest dealers out there but a Bad Apple here and there spoils the bunch.. not to mention the stupid discount business that exhisted b4 out time.... Time for change I think... how about you?

20. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Yeah!! I don't understand the concept of making up an inflated number in order to take a discout off later. Companies should just set a price they want it to sell for and have a discount off of that price for the dealer.

That way there would be no way that big crappy businesses like Guitar Center could take enormous discounts and hurt the little guy.

If it was the same price everywhere then you would shop at stores based on customer service.