list price to sale price...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Apr 3, 2002.

1. I am looking on some websites, namely modulus and zon, and i am noticing the list price but they say nothing about a sale price. In a general way, what is the differance between the list price and sale prices of basses? or if anyone here knows, what are the sale prices for a zon legacy elite 6, modulus Q6, and a Status S-2 classic 6 (neck through model). Thanks a lot

2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    You can generally get them for 60% MSRP, that is just a good rule of thumb to keep handy as it works with most basses and amps
  3. catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Yeah Josh, I would use 70% as a rule of thumb.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    paying 60% of list is not realistic- a business will not survive- and there are restrictions placed by the manufacturers that come into play- there are minimum advertised price clauses and such- that is not to say that you cant find stuff at 40% off- but 30-35% is more like it- also , some items have smaller markups- and higher costs- so its not a global rule
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GC can sell lots of things (like Fender guitars and basses) at 60% of list. They pay 50% or less for most items. They get special pricing from the manufacturers because of their volume and clout (and they use it). On some brands like Mackie and Mesa, they have less room to move. On the high end gear, I agree that 70% is more realistic but, for example, I know for a fact that they don't pay more than 50% of list for Lakland.
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ok- but 10 above cost is rare- CG does sell for less if you prod them, but on some stuff- for example i just bought a Korg Karma- there was no budging-- and i seriously doubt the are selling laklands at 10 above cost- maybe some of the Mexi Fender stuff and what not- at ten above cost , that hardly covers shipping-
    i have no wish to challenge anyones opinion- but to assume anything can be had at 10 above cost may be misleading to someone buying a bass..
  7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Mesa does not allow dealers to come off of the retail price. The have dropped dealers around here for coming off of retail. There is now one store in the area that sells at list, unless they get special permission from Mesa.
    I agree with the general idea of 30-35% off list IF the dealer cost is an A markup, 50% of list. Most companies deal with a B markup, 60% of list, in which case I'd say 25% off list.
  8. everywhere I've seen it's been 30-40% below list. 40% below, being an awesome deal.
  9. I'd say expect 25% off, 30% is better, but, as you approach 35% the deals slow down. Anything beyond is just luck. (Oh no, he's gonna talk about his Jack Casady)

Take my Jack Casady bass for example :rolleyes:
    it lists for $1,199.00, but, I got mine for $449.00
    which is about 62% off list, which was pure luck. I was in the right place at the right time. M/F was clearing out the sunburst models, which I prefer.

Most everything else I've bought came out to about 30% off list. I've found that if you're open to buying a model or color that isn't the most popular, you can get unbelievable deals. A list price is just a starting point. And, remember; EVERYTHING is negotiable. Cash speaks every language.

Mike J.
  10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Since the growth of the superstores, discounts have gotten deeper because high-volume places are cutting their own deals for wholesale prices. A local owner told me that Mars/GC/sam Ash type places pay much less than he does for Fenders.

I always offer 65 percent of list, and go home feeling like I have gotten a good deal. I have only been turned down a couple of times with that offer. And even those times, I walked after the rejection, not trying to work the deal.

The times I see stuff get down to 60 percent of list or less is around inventory times and when the stock levels get out of hand. If you want a guitar that you know has been on the wall a while, go for a 40 percent cut, your chances are better.

11. 30% off is a good,solid deal. Anything after that is even better. Alot of Mom and Pop music stores can't survive off of less than that. It's just simple economics.
    I worked in music retail for a couple of years and kind of know how it works. I don't mind paying a little more to a store that provides good service and can help me make a good buy. But,I don't mind hunting for a smokin' deal if I can find it. I like to support local stores,but they don't always give great customer service or provide alot of product knowledge that would give them the edge to keep my business. So,why not go on-line and find the 50% deal if it can be found?