1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

list some clean ss high wattage heads.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Sep 2, 2008.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my ampeg svt 4 pro is a little too colored for me at times.

i'm debating a trade to another clean high wattage amp. something if i want dirty i can use a pedal, but if i don't it's just true bass tone.

eden is obvious
    gk? i remember playing one and it sounding really clean, even better then my 400+.

anything else out there i can try?

2. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Thunderfunk 750a

3. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Thunderfunk.

I have no personal experience with Carvin, but the B1500 might fit the bill.

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Acoustic Image.

5. Carvin B1500

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    carvin is out of the question. wasn't into that head at all.

thunderfunk eh?

also, want extremely durable.

7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    My GK 700rbII works just fine for me. You said you tried and liked GK. Maybe you should test drive that again. Rock solid, very reliable.

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah i believe it was an 800rb that i tried when my mesa was on the fritz, but i was so hung up on the mesa name that when i got it back i went right back to my miserable tone. i'm debating giving a 1001rb a shot since i'd really like to keep whatever i get to a 2 space.

then eden is really the option i would love, but it's all about what i can get my hands on.

9. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    GBE-750/1200. Smashing SS channel, and should you like some tubiness, it's there too.

The Mesa Carbine is also pretty clean... I like that one.

10. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Hmmm...

Reliable
    Clean
    SS
    Powerful
    You like the tone

GK all the way. Way better than the Eden IMO. Go to the store, try all models and buy from RMCaudio.

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    see i also loved the eden heads i've played. and i've played more eden heads then i have gk.

UGH

12. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    +100:hyper:

13. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 is the best SS amp I have ever used, and at 3.75 pounds, it's definitely a no brainer. Now some may say that it has a tube pre, but that is easily controlled with the volume knob. However, I'm not so sure you'll be able to set the pedal for a dirty tone.

14. I just recently bought a Markbass F1 and an Ampeg SVT4 pro. Tried them both side by side and ended up keeping the F1 and returning the Ampeg (thank you GC). Good, punchy, clean tone and plenty of power. Almost seemed like I was having to push the Ampeg harder to get volume and yes I know the Ampeg is 1200 watts. Also, like the Genz Benz, it weighs less than 5 lbs which is a nice bonus there. Kind of wish I could've done an A/B with the Shuttle but I used up my month return time already on the F1. Also, both heads were ran through an Epifani UL2 410 and a Warwick thumb.

Not sure what it was about the Ampeg, I loved the features but there was a weird low-mid frequency "rumble" that I just could not get rid of that wasn't there with the F1.

15. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    markbass SD800 and LMII
    walter woods
    euphonic audio
    acoustic immage
    Genz Benz shuttle

in favorite to least favorite order.

16. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    What about a Genz Benz GBE1200?

17. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Snappy, very articulate, with IME seemingly endless headroom. Crystal clear with my NEOX cabs... that head/cab combination really takes my tone to the next level. I've never tried distortion, but my flanger sounds great. The tube channel gets relatively dirty on its own, especially with a high-output bass.

18. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    GK 700RB-ll or 1001rb-ll.

19. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Or the 2001 RB. I think its more up to par to the power of the SVT 4. Plenty of clean headroom before any breakup.

20. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

From my little experince, the GK 1001RB II is da bomb. Played through a 700RB II and it was pretty sweet, too. I could only imagine what a 2001RB II is like...
    No personal experince with Carvin heads, but the B1500 seems to be a likewise killer.