Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Listen and be thunderfunked

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by c-ba55, Mar 22, 2005.

1. At rehearsal, we turned the "tape" on and got this track.
    http://thewhys.com/mp3s/scratch/The Whys - Double Dribble.mp3

I think a large part of why I'm so pleased with this is the Thunderfunk. The low end is really big and mellow, but everything is all still there.

I'm using a Pedulla Rapture J2 5 string (which I've recorded with before, never to such great effect) into the Thunderfunk TFB420 into an Aguilar GS 212. Sometimes, I have my EBS BassIQ turned on a little. There's a kick drum mic on the cab, a direct line out, and a room mic getting the sound.

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Arg, i can't get the download to work.

I'm glad everyone seems happy with their thunderfunks... I'll be ordering a 550 soon for my old school/zep/sabbath sounding band. I want big thumpy low end.

Would also like something that can growl and have attack (Bit like Chancellor of Tool) and i don't know if it could get that.. But for the price, i'm all over it.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Right. We're sitting here with a couple 2-inch speakers and maybe a 5-inch "subwoofer," and we're going to hear how your Thunderfunk sounds.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ahh, cool. Got it to work.. Nice sound man. Pretty cool tight sounding band as well.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have my pc running through a sony stereo... using the surround sound jack. :D

Honestly, it sounds kinda muddy, not all that defined... but that may be the MP3 format. :meh:

6. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Sounds killer through my system bro. Nice playing too :cool:

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Good playing.

However, the Bass is lost in the mix.

8. OK yeah, those of you with decent sound systems attached to your computer, listen and be thunderfunked. I didn't master the mp3 at all for computer speakers, like you're supposed to. It's not a permanent recording we're going to keep.

You're all invited to come hear / feel it in person too, but this seemed more convenient. (but I do hear a basic fidelity to the sound on the "tape")

I'm just rumbling along in this track, bottom octave all the way. When I record some higher register stuff, I'll post that too. The cool thing there is it still sounds like big mean old bass, but not in a dirty way.

9. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    My Harmon Kardon speakers almost did this justice. Low and mellow groove with tone galore. First I have heard the funk through a Thunderfunk. I love it! :D

10. Brian Middleton

Brian Middleton

Feb 4, 2005
    Boston
    I agree with Finger Blister...the bass is too low in the mix (or maybe the guitar and snare are too high? ;) ). But it sounds fabulous--big and deep and rich. I was GASing for a Thunderfunk already, and now...

11. It sounds good but you should be louder in the mix or turn up the mids.

12. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    It gets more audible right at the end when the g()r player starts leaning on the wah. Sounds great!

13. Nice bottom end. How much hiss was in bass track? Did you have any trouble with the signal?

Jure

14. Perhaps it's just my speakers or my ears. But I your sound is way to undefined for me! At least here it sounds pretty muddy....

15. I didn't really work with the raw tracks, so I don't know about hiss or anything. Between my bass-heavy bass sound, and the drummer's gigantic kick drum, 28" I think!? it does present a mixing challenge. But there's no chordal part to get in the way. We can achieve the effect of thunder below and weedly-weedly-wee on top, which is largely the goal of this one song.

There seem to be definitely two schools of thought here. One like me, is pleased with the bass being a really full bed underneath. That's the spirit of this song. Others seem to really want a more in your face sound, either through mix or EQ. I do appreciate that feedback. Forcing myself to listen with fresh ears, I guess there could be more, or perhaps tighter, bass, for it to be an equal third of the sound. (That didn't seem like a good artistic goal on this one song, since I'm really not doing anything too interesting beyond holding it down) That capability no doubt lies within the raw tracks, were they to be worked with like a usual radio track. The DI puts out plenty of top end. Probably, this sound represents mostly the kick mic's take on the sound.

Also, around 1:30, I kick on the envelope filter which more or less eliminates the attack, in favor of little swells.

So I guess mostly what I provided here is an appreciation for the nice low end of the amp. In real life, or even this recording on CD through my stereo, it is not muddy. It is warm and comforting. Sometimes, it's boomy - depending on the room. When we fully mix and master anything, I'll get it to you guys.