Listen to King Diamond (mp3)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Jun 8, 2004.

1. You guys heard of him? He's the frontman for Mercyful Fate. Metallica did a compilation of their songs on Garage Inc. disc 1, track 7 or 8 i forgot which one it is. Classic old-school metal. I've probably listened to this song 20 times looped already.

Anybody happen to know when this cd comes out? And for the record, falsettos are an acquired taste. :D

Rock on :bassist:
  2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    well, i listened to a few cds after reading a rave review of one of his/their newer albums. wasn't very impressed though. perhaps the review was talking too high of him, though, so that my expectations just couldn't be fulfilled. the arrangements aren't that great, the stories not that original, etc...

EDIT: just want to expressthat i'm not bashing the music. everybody likes what he likes and he does so as much as he wants to.
  3. Pfft I never read reviews. Arrangments..didn't bother me...storyline..I thought it was coo.

Sounds good to me, at least. :D

Actually, these guys are partly responsible for creating what we today call metal. This band is the Black Sabbath of wherever they are from (Denmark?). I remember reading an interview about James Hetfield and he said two of metal's first great bands were Sabbath and Mercyful fate.

But the music aint for everyone. :bassist:
  4. didn't he sing a song about his grandma's soul?
  5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    well, not to push this thread off topic too much but i'd like to comment on your "pfft i never read reviews"...

well, i don't do that, too, at least not on purpose. it happens when i am waiting somewhere (say at a friends house) that i'll skip through the magazines.

i've heard a lot of people saying things like the above, often followed by the reasoning that you should make up your own mind about something and decide for yourself whether something is for you or not.

but on the three or four occasions in year that i'll read reviews i always view them as pointers, just as if a friend came to me and said: "well, i bought this cd and it's just so great, you have to listen to it..."

i believe there is a lot of truth behind the idea of developing your own opinion, but dismissing reviews or recommendations (issued by whomever) as a principle can read to the same kind of ignorance if not worse.

that said, isn't it just great when you suddenly stumble upon something that just works great for you?

it a little epiphany each time.

wow. i'm so... blah. :rollno: :D
  6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    His Solo stuff is better... Its .... "Interesting"
  7. LOL I wouldn't be suprised if he did.

I just don't read them because I'm too lazy. That, and I hate critics. The only time I DO read them is when I feel like doing research, which is rare.

But yeah, it IS great finding an album you decided to give a chance and it turns out to be an a** kicker. :bassist:
  8. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    You guys don't know Mercyful Fate?

They along with Venom invented black metal.Their first four albums were extremely Satanic and guitaring duo Sherman/Denner are often compared to Murray/Smith(Iron Maiden) and Tipton/Downing(Judas Priest).

Get 'Don't break the Oath'-it was voted the greatest extreme metal album of all time by .

'Melissa' came second on the list.

Anyhow after 1993,they reunited and with a more melodic approach created albums like 'In the Shadows' and 'Time'.

They had a great bassist-Timi Hansen.Also another guy whose name I don't remember. :bassist: .Cool sh*t, all of them.
  9. The bassists..MY GOD...THEY KICK SERIOUS ****!!! :bassist:

So far I only have 2 of their albums. "9" (which is also a killer song..very ambient but heavy...?..they pulled it off though!) and the Greatest Hits Compilation.

I'm going to order the Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack off amazon, and I think I'm going to add "Dont Break The Oath" to the purchase.
  10. Don't forget Bathory (the first true black metal album?) and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost.

As for singing about his grandmother I think you must be referring to the solo concept albums "Them" and "Conspiracy"

(i just read that these two continued on from "Abigail" wow that makes a trilogy of concept albums is this a first ? :confused: )

"Do You remember when Grandmother said she heard "THEM" sing
    I've heard "THEM" too and I really wish I could hear "THEM" again

My favourite line

"That night I cleaned the entire house
    For everything but the memories
    No dust, no tea, ah stupid me
    I even took the axe away

11. That went over my head. Axe? He killed his grandma then or what?
  12. I can't remember off the top of my head sorry :meh:
  13. *** then how is it your favorite line? :meh: :D
  14. Just stuck in my head :)
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I agree.. Cool stuff. I've been a fan for years!!
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, he has a song called, "No presents for Christmas" LOL

Uh, yeah, you have to get use to his vocals. Very dramatic after they stop being hilarious. His evil witch laughing is great.
  17. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

Hell Yeah he does!!!

He isnt the best musician I've ever heard, but he certainly is the Most interesting guy... I dressed up like him for Halloween and Scared some girl into oncoming traffec... She was fine, The police were Pissed! They said "You're too scary for a Haunted House" ..............(***)..............
  18. I play this for my family every christmas :D ( its becoming a bit of a tradition )