1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Listen to my Band's new song, Feedback Appreciated !

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FunkMachine, Mar 28, 2005.

1. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    This is a track called "The Fix" by my band, Arkane.

Its an old-school rock song, with punk and a tiny bit of funk elements. We recorded it in the studio and had very little mixing done to it, to keep a really 'raw' feel to the track. (Keep it mind, without alot of mixing, this is why a few of my fills seem to randomly COME AT YA out of nowhere, oops!). We aimed to make it very into the 60s/70s revolution rock era. Lyrics are a bit 'cheesy', but we tried to make them as old school as possible. Its basically a fun fast song that we can rock out to on stage.

Any feedback/tips appreciated!

Oh, and can anyone tell what bass i used for recording?

Download here:
    www.phride.com/sounds/thefix.mp3

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    OK, Here goes first it's very "proffesional" sounding and I mean that as a sincere compliment! I have heard some MP3's on TB from guys who have rigs that are mind blowing, and when I got to there music I was actually pretty disapointed. So you got past the first hurdle.

#1 I must have been born 20 tears too early, when I think of Classic rock I think of late 60's early 70's, too me this sounded very 80's, ecspecially the gutiar tone, too processed for 1974!
    #2 The overall mix is very balenced, no glarring problems there!
    #3 I thought the bass sounded a little thin when you were playing up high, it sounded like you were slapping? But when you were down low it sounded good, fairly round.
    #4 The bass and the drums could have been a little tighter, seemed like everyone was playing a bit much! Could be a charecteristic of that kind of music, but space is OK, space is your friend.

All in All a pretty good effort!, don't feel bad about the space comment, I find myself playing less and less as I get older. As far as what bass it's not very obvious, it's fairly dark sounding, Warwick or Fender P with Rounds?

3. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Hey.

Thanks for the words.

Is the mix really that 'balanced' ? I dont really know the first thing about mixing/mastering, but I know hardly anything has been done to the raw recording.

Yeah, I agree about space...but I guess we just wanted to go for a crazier in-your-face sort of approach. My bass take was real sloppy in general I find, mainly with volume fluctuations in my playing...But I did do it in two attempts, so be it, plus I think it adds to the attitude/feel of the song anyway....

This track is actually a hybrid of our originals. A b*stard-child so to speak, we dont play this kind of rock... But it turned out to be quite fun none the less.

For anyone who is interested, we paid about $150 for the recording in total.