Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Listen to my Band's new song, Feedback Appreciated !

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FunkMachine, Mar 28, 2005.

1. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    This is a track called "The Fix" by my band, Arkane.

Its an old-school rock song, with punk and a tiny bit of funk elements. We recorded it in the studio and had very little mixing done to it, to keep a really 'raw' feel to the track. (Keep it mind, without alot of mixing, this is why a few of my fills seem to randomly COME AT YA out of nowhere, oops!). We aimed to make it very into the 60s/70s revolution rock era. Lyrics are a bit 'cheesy', but we tried to make them as old school as possible. Its basically a fun fast song that we can rock out to on stage.

Any feedback/tips appreciated!

Oh, and can anyone tell what bass i used for recording?

Download here:
    www.phride.com/sounds/thefix.mp3

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    OK, Here goes first it's very "proffesional" sounding and I mean that as a sincere compliment! I have heard some MP3's on TB from guys who have rigs that are mind blowing, and when I got to there music I was actually pretty disapointed. So you got past the first hurdle.

#1 I must have been born 20 tears too early, when I think of Classic rock I think of late 60's early 70's, too me this sounded very 80's, ecspecially the gutiar tone, too processed for 1974!
    #2 The overall mix is very balenced, no glarring problems there!
    #3 I thought the bass sounded a little thin when you were playing up high, it sounded like you were slapping? But when you were down low it sounded good, fairly round.
    #4 The bass and the drums could have been a little tighter, seemed like everyone was playing a bit much! Could be a charecteristic of that kind of music, but space is OK, space is your friend.

All in All a pretty good effort!, don't feel bad about the space comment, I find myself playing less and less as I get older. As far as what bass it's not very obvious, it's fairly dark sounding, Warwick or Fender P with Rounds?

3. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Hey.

Thanks for the words.

Is the mix really that 'balanced' ? I dont really know the first thing about mixing/mastering, but I know hardly anything has been done to the raw recording.

Yeah, I agree about space...but I guess we just wanted to go for a crazier in-your-face sort of approach. My bass take was real sloppy in general I find, mainly with volume fluctuations in my playing...But I did do it in two attempts, so be it, plus I think it adds to the attitude/feel of the song anyway....

This track is actually a hybrid of our originals. A b*stard-child so to speak, we dont play this kind of rock... But it turned out to be quite fun none the less.

For anyone who is interested, we paid about $150 for the recording in total.