Listen to my blues band - B&B Blues

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Sep 21, 2003.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Down a few beers, inhale a room-ful of passive smoke, dim the lights and transport yourselves to a seedy bar where four old farts have taken to the stage, just for fun... :)

Here's five covers we recorded during two rehearsals recently, I spent this afternoon making a rough mix. It's meant to become a demo CD we can give to bar owners. I'm waiting to hear from my band mates if they think it's OK, you're actually hearing this before any of them do.

So, take a listen and give me your best critique, but bear in mind we're a bunch of amateurs doing this for fun!

PS. The first three songs are in Swedish, the final two in Swenglish :p
    I'm playing the bass of course, and singing backing vocals on two songs.
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Dang! My Venezuelan blues band played "Dust My Broom" too. I really like your version. The slide guitarist is cool. Your singer has nice attitude...a good voice for blues. Your bass has good tone. I wish I could hear the song all the way through unbroken, but the song keeps rebuffering. I'm going to try to hear the others, but it will take a long time on my doggone, woefully inadequate computer.

Anyway, hearing your version of "Dust My Broom" really brought back happy memories of my blues band.

I like your "rough" recording because I don't like blues to sound too smooth or produced. I really prefer the authentic, rustic sound of "Old Blues" and you guys have done a nice job of getting that.

Congratulations and many thanks for the memories.
  3. Boplicity

OK, I've heard them all now and had a good time. I really like "Da Kommer Ja Och Vermer (OK, I don't write Sweddish.)

I think it is good that your samples have a variety of tempos and styles. It is very different to hear blues sung in Swedish...but here is the surprise. It almost sounded like English! "Hopplos Blues" sounded just like your singer was singing "Hopeless Blues." If I didn't know better, I'd think it was English.

That said, when your singer does sing in English, it is clear and understandable, with little or no accent.

I'd love to hear your band play "Stormy Monday."
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Thanks Boplicity for your kind words! :)

It's sometimes strange to sing blues in Swedish, but the audience really likes it. English has somehow become the universal language for music, and I'm not sure that's quite right (in non-English speaking countries, that is). "Hopplös Blues" is actually "Hopeless Blues", so you were right there!

We do play Stormy Monday, a kind of cover of Gary Moore's version, but again with Swedish lyrics ("Djävla Måndag" - "Damned Monday" or something like that). We should make some recordings of more slow blues numbers, but this time we felt we should have slightly more up-tempo songs to please the bar owners. Blues can be tricky, not all crowds enjoy the slow blues, we usually only do a few and then more rocking stuff. I'll cast a vote for Stormy Monday for next recording session though.
  5. Boplicity

I haven't heard Gary Moore's version of "Stormy Monday," but if he has done it, it has to be good. He is one of my favorite living blues guitarists.