Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

listen to sesame street to improve groove!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by steve_man, Mar 4, 2003.

1. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I was told to do this by one of my friends.

He was right!

And I'm not even sure if sesame street has had big names come and do music for them.

more info on names if you have some.

2. bassochist

bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    Earth
    sounds kinda funny...
    and come to think of it they do have many big names in music on sesame street...
    i remember my cousin watching sesame street when he was around 5 and BB king was on there...
    my dad and i thought it was rather funny...
    dont know how you would learn much bass technique from that though...

3. I think what he means is not so much what they do - it's more how they do it. I think if you listen carefully, you 'll notice that the arrangements and the performances are second to none. They're most probably paying big $$ for first-call session musicians.

WERS (Emerson College, Boston) has a great programme on weekends caled "The Playground", and features many kids' tunes. I'm a regular listener, and it always amazes me just how good the arrangements are, and how incredible the performers sound. They play all the Disney/Muppet/"Weird Al" and "kids' shows" stuff, and (aside from the content) the music is very good!

- Wil

4. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    If you think about it, it is music that has a part of making the kids get into the program.

if you've ever read some of the stuff on marcus miller's home page he says that this music listened to at a young age impacts the way a player plays in the future.

Marcus uses the example of hot cross buns and the comparison of song done by sting.

After my friend told me about sesame street I went and started watching it on days that I could catch it. The music was simple enough so that kids could enjoy it but there was enough groove to make a 2-5 year old dance.:cool:

There was the down side of my brothers giving me the eye brow wondering if I wanted apple juice and cookies.

However when I listened to this each short piece I found it gave a good groove for an instrument to build upon.

5. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm not totally sure but I think I remember something about Victor Baily being on sesame street.

not sure though!