Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

listen to these basses please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superphat, Nov 4, 2002.

1. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    ok, i was going to post this in "recordings" but i decided that the post is more about the actual basses used, rather about the recording itself (or the music) so here goes...
    i recorded this little part of an original composition with 2 different basses.
    the only clues i'll give is: one has EMGs, the other has barts.
    the question is, do you hear a significant difference?
    both went into the exact same recording chain: direct box to motu 828 to logic via firewire.
    slight limiting with waves plugin and slight compression on the mix with a finalizer.
    no EQ.

i guess this could have been a poll, but i hate polls, so...
    do you like one or the other better?
    do they sound close enough for you to not give a damn?
    can you guess what type of basses?

audio clip 1
    audio clip 2

i'll let you know tomorrow which basses these are.
    (sorry about the corny guitar riff!) :D

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´m sorry, I could not listen to it long enough to realize the difference. That piano stuff made me nauseus, and I´m not kidding with that one. That piano stuff is constantly alternating between the left and right speaker. I´m using headphones so I practically became sort of seasick listening to that piano stuff constantly rushing from one ear to the other.

*shudder*

3. I would say first clip Barts, 2nd clip EMGs.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well, both links point to the same clip, but after some tinkering I managed to download both clip1 and clip2. On my PC there is not much - if any - of a difference though, nothing that wouldn't be covered by minor EQ tweaks anyway.

Is it the same clip ? ;)

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wavelab revealed that they're two different files (after fixing the 2nd link).

But hard to listen to, you might want to give us both bass tracks soloed.

6. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    Yeah correct the links please!

Clip 1 seems better defined in the mid, clip 2 seems to have slightly nicer bottom definition.

I can't tell which is EMG/Bart, but I'd like to know!

1 seems closer to EMGs that I heard, but then that was years ago on a Steinberger ...

For a bass solo album, I would pick 1, for anything else with a voice on: 2!

7. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    whoah!
    sorry about that...
    it was late last night!
    that was smart to "tinker" with the links.
    ;)

the links are fixed now.
    and yeah, the first one is barts with 3 band 18v bart system on an MTD heir 5.
    the 2nd one is emg with emg 2 band 18v system on a Fender Jazz.

sorry about the blotched link thing!

Icez - sorry to make you naseous. can you be more dramatic? :rolleyes:

8. Yipes, I had presumed the first one was the EMG's! I quite prefer the first one, and there is a noticable difference. Additionally, I listened on headphones as well and did not find it nauseating.

--jeff

9. I liked the first one better too, but I have a question : did both basses have the same strings on 'em ?

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Nice Rhodes sound you got there, is at a real Rhodes or a synth?

11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Yea, I'd have to second the comment that the first is the EMG's and the second is Barts. You can hear the darker tone of the Bart verse the eq'd EMG.

12. definitely barts on the first. seems more of a mid presence. Emg's second. more botom

13. 1st of all let me say that you have a really nice touch on the bass. With that said I think I prefer the clip #2 slightly over #1. I'm sure they could be EQed to sound equal though. As to EMG or BART well, I think #2 is BART but I sure wouldn't bet the farm on it. It's all in your hands.:D

14. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    nope.
    first bass (mtd + barts) DR sunbeams.
    second bass (fender + emg) Fender Supers.
    both are nickel roundwound, though.

good question.

i've found the "right" combination for the mtd heir,
    but i'm still searching for the "right" strings for the fender.

15. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    thanks~
    that's actually the emagic evp soft-synth rhodes thingy.
    i do have a rhodes 73 that i use a lot, but for demos, it's usally quicker to go the plugin route...

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow, I've not heard such a convinving rhodes emulation. Most ones I've heard are utter crap at worst, and bear something of a resemblance at best. I've got a Rhodes 73 too :) Beautiful instruments ain't they? A bitch to transport though, they're so damn heavy!

17. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    thanks GreyBeard! :)

yeah, #1 is Barts and #2 is EMG, but you're right - a lot of the tone factor is in the hands.
    Now that you mention it, i'm still trying to get comfortable with the fender+emg+strings? combination. Also, it's an natural ASH body with rosewood fretboard and the EMGs sound bigger and fatter than on an ALDER body with maple board, for example.
    In any case, I'm still trying to find MY SOUND on that one.

18. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    moley,
    yeah i love Rhodes keys.
    i just wish i could play it well!
    :D

Herbie Hancock did a big promo thing for Emagic, raving about the evp software rhodes. I know an endorsement is just an endorsement, but hey, it's Herbie!

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Really? Wow, Herbie's one of my heros!