1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Listen to this cover of 'Dig' by Mudvayne

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 5, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The reason for that is this:

Different basses display faults in technique more that others. You can't get away with playing loosely on an MTD six-string the way you might on a P-bass with flatwounds.

I've experienced that "click" that you have before. My initial resolve for it was to lower my pickups. Then, as I realized that I wanted my pickups higher up, I needed to clean up my technique to rid myself of the problem. Pushing down on the strings too hard, a poorly executed attack (particularly when using a pick), or letting your fingernail or the bony tips of your fingers can all lead to it.

2. Thanks. :)

3. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    Yeah, I don't know if was a mic issue, but that bass tone in the mp3 is anything but desireable to me. The singing was pretty funny ;)

One thing to keep in mind if you are trying to get the mudvayne bass tone, is that he strikes the strings with his fingertips, almost like tapping, but he doesn't actually push the string all the way down. With his detuned strings, they bounce back and create a slap like affect.

4. But why doesn't it do it on my spector euro lx? HARD WOOD(maple), and UBER low action. :meh:

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Off topic here, but that "slap" in brick house is painful to listen to. but, they seem to do some of the heavy stuff pretty well.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    The writing is all over your wall. It says "Sterling". :)

7. Is that definetly sterling though? Or is that a sterling impersonating a warwick? I've heard lots of warwicks sound like that........

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    All of your basses are made of hard wood. The difference is the different body woods and (primarily) Warwick electronics are going to react to sounds and technique differntly than other basses.

If all basses worked the same, we wouldn't have a need for more than one.

The Spector has a pretty powerful preamp- a lot of the tone you hear through your amp is the tone of the preamp. Your Warwick probably gives you a more transparent tone-meaning it will pick up the nuances of your technique more clearly. My Conklin did that as well-after playing a cheap Samick P/J five for years, the Conklin showed me exactly how much work I had to do cleaning up my technique.

This isn't an uncommon thing-lots of people look for basses with really transparent tone. Lots of people end up selling them as well because the tone so clearly shows the faults in their technique-I remember Brad Johnson saying that's why he thinks so many Elricks end up on the used market.

Do some searching in Basses and you'll find lots of discussion on the topic.

9. At some point Nick, you are going to HAVE TO accept the advice you are being given/offered by every man and his dog that this is (IMHO) a technique issue.

It won't go away if you ignore it, so why not accept it and do something about it? :meh: :meh:

You WILL NOT solve it by throwing money at the problem or by inserting some "gizmo" between your bass and your ears.

I just heard the clip you referred to and, in all honesty, I cannot imagine why anyone would have any interest in emulating that bass "tone". :eyebrow: :eyebrow: Certainly sounds like a recording "error" to me too.

All IMHO of course, and with the very best intentions. :D :D

10. The theory of the spector's pre amp covering up my technique doesn't work, the pre amp is barely on, and the pickups run at 1/8th full volume, otherwise it distorts my amp. As for the bass tone, I'm assured it isn't a recording error and that it always sounds like that. I like that tone. Me wants.

11. It doesn't even stop if I play with an extremely light touch. It's definetly off to a tech as soon as I can get over to Leeds. :(

12. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Then something is wrong somewhere. If it's only an 8th volume, and it throws your amp for a loop, you've either got screwed up preamp, or a screwed up amp. If you can run your other basses full volume, then it's probably the preamp in the Spector. They have hot preamps, yeah, but only being able to turn it on 1/8th is probably the source of some issues with your tone (growl) that you've been having.

And if it was only on 1/8th, it sure as heck would cover up your technique.

13. Ok, I listenned and it's a horrible rendition.

No bookmarks here. No right click / save as, .... nope.

No Sir!

14. +1.

Dire isn't it? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

15. Well it overdrives my sansamp, even if the sansamp isn't active(as in the tube stuff isnt on). So I have to run it low. I don't udnerstand why it does this. Perhaps they sold me it for £250 less than it should have been because they knew it was faulty........... :bawl:

16. O well I liked it.

17. Now I'm really confused!! I thought we were discussing the difficulties you were having with your Warwick? What does the Spector have to do with any of this? :confused: :confused:

I still say that, problems you may or may not have with your Spector aside, the problems you are having with the sound of your Warwick are, likely as not, down to technique which is being made very apparent (and not being masked in any way) by the transparent, and therefore very unforgiving, nature of the bass. :D :D

Good luck with it but, if you ever do manage to find the tone on that "clip", I hope you can get rid of it when you tire of it as I think it would get real old real quick. :meh: :meh:

18. Nah, your'e not telling me that everyone who plays a warwick thumb is some genious with perfect technique, and they're basses dont click. It's something up with the bass.

19. Okay.

BUT correct me if I'm wrong:

In the last few weeks/months, you have posted concerning (perceived) "problems" with:

1. Your amp (VU meter/input level etc).
    2. Your Warwick.
    3. Your Spector.
    4. Your SansAmp BDDI.

I know that there IS such a thing as coincidence, and some people ARE very unlucky but, come on Nick, you must be able to see the common denominator in all this surely? ;) ;) ;)

20. Alright it's me. IYes, I'm uber ****ing **** like everyone thinks, yup. Absolutely. Absolutely none of it is the bass. Yeh, **** that idea. I invite you to examine my technique. I bet you won't find a thing wrong with my old finger plucking technique.