1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Listen to this cover of 'Dig' by Mudvayne

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, May 5, 2005.

1. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nick, he's not implying you're dumb or anything, he's saying that if all these have issues with apparently every piece of gear you own (at one time or another), or "issues" then it's entirely possible you have unaddressed technique issues. Right, left, or both. Maybe you think you've got solid technique, but don't.

I sounded fine ("fine") playing through my Ibanez GSR200 and Crate combo amp. Then I went to a guitar store. I plugged a fretted Pedulla into an SWR 4x10 and head. I thought something was wrong with the amp. While I was playing visually correct, in that I couldn't *see* anything wrong, mechanically, my technique was a mess, and the gear proved it.

And, if all your gear, every last piece of it, seemingly, gives you fits, then, rationally, wouldn't it be possible it's your playing/technique?

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    The bass in Sober is pretty awful as well.

Cochise sounded pretty good though.

edit: my god the Dig cover is terrible. The singer has the lyrics so screwed up its sad.

3. I don't know why in the world anyone would want to get Ryan's tone. It is maybe the worst tone I have ever heard!

That aside. The songs were bad. The drummer is bad. The guitarist is bad (and out of tune on many songs). The singer is awful. And the bass is bad (not just the tone, the technique too). I'm not trying to be mean, just honest. If I went into a bar and heard that, I wouldn't last 30 seconds. Just bad, really bad. Maybe my standards are too high.

4. So, you must truly be THE unluckiest person on the planet to have so many issues with just about ALL your musical equipment.

That being the case, maybe you should just sell everything and start again.

Or have I got that wrong too?

:meh: :meh:

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    As a side note, I'd like to add that is some of the worst guitar tone I have heard in a LONG time. Nice backing track (playing all the talented parts, ripped right from the CD) on "fade to black" lol.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You're 16, Nick-I'm sure we could find plenty. That's not an insult-that just how it is. I'm 26, been playing for a decade now, and I'm still finding things that need to be corrected in my technique. I'm sure if you open yourself up to constructive criticism, you could benefit from people with more experience showing you how to improve. Don't ever think you're playing is without fault-there's always room to improve-that goes for EVERYONE.

7. Well said. :)

8. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    Nick, when I first got my Corvette, I experienced that "click" you were talking about. I played it through my BXR100, a GK rig and a Bassman combo... still clicked. I was told to "not tear the strings off the neck" when i played, so i played lighter, and still "click". Another bassist picked up my Corvette and played it... lo and behold no click... at that moment I realized, the click was comming from me, not my vette... so my advice is get another, better bassist to play it, and listen for the click... I doubt you will hear it.

Now I hope you dont take that the wrong way, im not calling you a bad bassist or anything like that, but my guess is the click is comming from your hands, and no gear can fix it... yet...

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I would say that bass tone sounds like a$$, but that would be an insult to a$$es everywhere.

OK...I just got down listening the Brick House. I'm going to go in the bathroom and put some manicure scissors in both my eardrums.

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    1:Take to thumb to another bassplayer, of whom you know he is "better", if it clicks, it's the bass, if it doesn't it's your technique. There is no disgrace in correcting your technique. If it would be perfect from day one, why should one bother to practice?

2:If you get rid of it, don't make it firewood, just send it over to me :D

11. "Better" ????? :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

:D :D :D :D

12. Ok. I'm taking it to have it set up soon, and the tech is a pretty good bassist, and the manager of the shop is a warwick user, so I'll get em to see what's up with it. As for the tone, don't be nasty about the guy or his band, he's also a member here. I think they're pretty good personally.

13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    +1 I mean they really aren't all that bad, they are most likely young ish too and they made a few mistakes sure and they may be a bit off sometimes but on the whole it's not that bad.

Nick, it's really time for an ego check. This "I'm perfect but my $3000 gear sux" BS is getting old. yes you're young, yes you don't have any experience, yes you have technique problems, yes they will improve if you want to work on them. I know what u mean by the clicking, It happens on my Spector Legend and even my Aria, why? because I have a poor attack and play too hard. Solution: I installed a ramp which helps a fair amount and I work on my right hand technique. Drop the pride and take the criticism and appreciate and respect the fact that these experienced kind people continue to help you and offer you their opinions, help, suggestions and knowledge etc. despite your constant ignoration of it all and disrespect and shenanigans. You should be grateful like no other. They deserve thanks that I don't recall you ever really giving them. it's a good idea to take your bass to your tech but you may just be throwing away money. Have a better, more experienced, more refined player play your bass and if there is no clicking, then you know the problem is you. But I strongly disadvise you continue to throw away money because no matter how much cash you blow on setups, pedals, amps, straps, basses, or what not it will no fix the problem which is (or maybe isn't) YOU. it's going to take time and discipline on your part, get working. and if you are too ***** ?$%@*$?(@$?*@ **** 11!! good then maybe you should juts quit bass and move on to another instrument you dont pwn at, such as harp, or sax, or french horn, or cello, or timpani, or piano or viola or trumpet, or drums, or double bass, or cymbals, or violin, or tuba, trombone, tambourine, percussion, jazz flute, clarinet or maybe even the extremely challenging triangle.

14. Yes, 1000 times yes.

15. i would just like to personally thank many of you (on this thread before me) for that truly enjoyable read. i think i just snapped my ribcage from laughing so hard!!!!!!, my favorite part (so far) being from cheezewiz, in reference to the just having heard the brickhouse cover!!!!!!!!

but in all fairness, as bad as that cover of brickhouse was, i admire that this bassplayer has the balls to play such a botched rendition of a song in front of an audience, UNLIKE MYSELF!!!

when i get the balls to put some playing of mine on the computer, i will be sure to post it so i can enjoy being torn to shreds in a constructive and unconstructive way! hee.hee. :bassist: