Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

listen to this

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IvanMike, Sep 20, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lets see if i did this right
    gimme your reviews - i have my own critiques of various aspects of this recording, but i'd rather not color your initial opinion

good for nothing

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    what I heard was pretty cool! I'm pulling some stuff for work so I'll stream it again later. Very catchy! I'll be humming it most teh night

3. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lol it is catchy..............

my guitar player/singer wrote it
    it was recorded in his basement studio about a year ago. If i'm correct this was the tune we recorded the night i broke my leg. We were fooling around and i fell, snapping my tibia in 2 places. We didnt realize how hurt i was so they helped me downstairs. We ran thru the song once and we then cut the bass and drums in one take. (guitar and vocal scratch tracks).

i'm looking for critiques of my playing and all other aspects of the recording.

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    The bass is a 1986 tobias 4 string. If i remember correctly i used a demeter preamp into a ua preamp/compressor but it could have been an alembic into the ua. The guitars would have been a les paul 59 reissue and maybe a relic strat into a bogner exctasy and/or a blockhead 45 split front powering marshall 4x12 cabs with greenbacks. I think It's all les paul. I'm pretty sure a ribbon mic and an sm-57 were used to mic the guitar tracks and both would have gone thru ua pre/compressors. The drums were mostly recorded thru api preamps, i'm not sure but i think he may have used some ribbon room mics in addition to using sennheiser, akg, and sure mics.

I can't take responsibility for the arrangement, vocals, or mixing/mastering. The tune was written by my guitar player/singer - i just added the most appropriate "vanilla" bass line. Vocals are out of my hands, and i was laid up during mixdown, (not that he ever listens to my advice anyway :rolleyes: ).

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The only criticism I have that isn't sheer niggling is the depth of the various instruments.

The guitars are in a large space, the singer is even more distant, and the drums are in your face.

I'd try a mix with almost no verb on the main vocals, with a healthy bit of compression to really bring him front and center.

OK, ok, one small niggle... ...I think the bass is a bit too compressed (whether is was an actual compressor or the amp is beside the point). That sound could work really well if the kick drum had a bit more attack and the kick and bass really line up exactly. But with a soft attack on the bass and on the kick, the accents get a bit muted.

I really like the drum and bass sounds and "spaces." I think if the guitars were a bit up and the vocal way forward, it would kill.

You kind of have a "Working Man" approach to the mix. Try again after spending some time with "Back in Black".

Oh, and if I were mixing that song, I'd experiment with bussing the kick, snare, and bass to a heavily compressed mono channel, then bringing that fader up underneath the existing tracks, to add a bit more attitude. Try it some time.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Sorry, your last post hadn't appeared when I wrote in. Looks like the concerns I raised you had no say in.

So, really good performance, completely appropriate. Good job.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i checked and the tune was all cut on the bogner exctasy with 2 different relic strats except for the fills which were done with a marshall preamp straight to tape.

I'm not happy with the mix, but i never get to have much input. He owns all of the toys, so he gets a bigger vote. :rolleyes:
    In my opinion he really doesnt understand and/or use frequency slotting. He tends to make the guitars sound "huge" at the expense of other instuments, and also tends to make everything sound good by itself, which added together sounds like mud. Even so i can see how the guitars are in a bit of "space".
    Of course I'd like the bass to be more audible. He tends to mix a compressed "subterranean" bass - sounds nice on a good stereo, but on a boom box or smaller speakers the bass dissapears. I like a mix where no matter what you play it on, the bass is always audible. (go figure) :p
    I use albums like "voodoo lounge", matthew sweet's "girlfriend" and "siamese dream" as examples. None of those albums has a bass sound with any real "presence" in the upper registers, yet no matter what you listen to them on, you can always hear the bass.

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    oh no prob, im looking for a critique of everything - (it always helps when i have other people agreeing with me - :D )

but i do appreciate any review of my playing (good or bad) as well.

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bump cause i can, and i wouldnt mind another comment or 2

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'll bump it again for ya ;) great stuff, I'm looking forward to more
    :bassist: