Listen to this...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cradleofbass, Aug 12, 2001.

1. a failed musician told me this once: "a guitarist is a true musician, a bassist is a failed guitarist, a singer is a person with slow fingers, and a drummer is a failed musician". and i think, "bassist: failed guitarist?"... in today's mainstream rock, where pick playing dominates the bassists, i can see why. These bands like blink 182, weezer, marilyn manson, dope, sum 41, eve 6, ETC have TERRIBLE BASS PLAYERS! It's my opinion that if a bassist seriously feels that a pick enhances the sound of the bass, they should be playing guitar. When i write, my parts are thick and rich, and i'd NEVER follow the guitar part note for note in a bass part.
  2. Yeah, Chris Squier and Carol Kaye should just quit playing bass now. :rolleyes:
  3. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    I'll just say you nothing about Weezer. Go put on Pinkerton. Tell me what you hear.

As for picks, why not be diverse? Are you scared someone will make fun of you?
  4. Cradle Of Bass What Cradle songs do you know? I think Twiggy is an ok bassist. Manson's first bassist, Gidget Gein was a lot better. Acey Slade isnt all that bad :)
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, it's my opinion that people who worry the most about what other people are doing are usually the ones who need to focus more upon their own selves.
  6. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    it's true that most bass players (in mainstream alternative music or whatever) are primarily guitarists playing bass for the sake of being in the band or convenience - hence the carry-over of plectrums. nothing wrong with that as i see it, and by your logic, doubling guitar parts and using a pick means you probably suck.

don't the basslines on Lateralus just make you want to vomit, man ? :rolleyes:

p.s. just a thought .. do guitarists condemn one another when they play with fingers and/or double a BASS part? (yes, it does happen...)
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    And why are you giving so much credit to a drummer's opinion?:D
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA

...and the reason that this man was so wise is what? Since he failed at it he now knows it all? You know, if you want a tip, try asking a successful musician. I bet the guitarist from blink will tell you that their bassist is absolutely neccessary for the band sound.

Now here at this point, even though you started the thread with a thumbs down, you seem to be saying that you agree with your first statement. My thought on this? You must not know much about music. Please feel free to post your basslines for all of us to judge you.

That must be why you are not the bass player for Dream Theater. Do you honestly believe that Myung is a failed guitarist? Please post your material. I really want to here what you consider "thick and rich". Thanks.
  9. thick and rich? it's not anything mark from blink 182 writes! maybe you've become jaded to criticizing the ability of mark, because you like the band. The bass players i've listed cannot write a good part... thus they suck. some players write easy parts that are genius... some players write parts that are difficult but horrible... these bands do no such thing. The purpose of this post was not to start a riot on my playing ability, but come over to my house and we'll have a showdown.
  10. Yeah, but whether they write a good part or not is totally your personal opinion. I don't care for those bands, but I'm not gonna say that their bassists suck.

And you my friend, are one of those people who make players ashamed to play with a pick. When they shouldn't be.
  11. if a bassist that uses a pick sucks...
    how about a guitarist that uses their fingers?
    does that mean they suck?

not to mention a drummer with no sticks

whoa! thats deep :)
  12. I went to warped yesterday, and 95% percent of the bassists I saw played pick style, and there were some amazing players, why dont u show up there and have " a showdown" with those pick players, they will bury you.
  13. guessing you like cradle of filth, so that leads me to think their bass player has talent? I didnt even know he cut through the mix, i sure as heck cant hear him play. So I've never actually heard him, so i cant actually say how good he is :)

(BTW I'm NOT a cradle of filth fan)
  14. Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    1st the bassist of cradle plays with a peak 2nd is one thins that i learn hear in talkbass «All eyes in the room are on the star, but their rumps are shakin' to the bass guitar!»the bass is the master of the band
  15. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    talk about the blind leading the blind ... dammit Benjamin, how DO you get so many followers ?! :p
  16. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    That is one of the most common misconceptions around unfortunately. A lot of guitarists out there think that they can play bass better than bassists - truth to tell, a lot of them can play nice melodic bass lines, but bassists have a better sense of timing and feel (in my opinion). I see this a lot when it comes to recording - the guitarist is usually the one who always tries to suggest a bassline to me, or who would record a bassline and ask me to copy it. Mmm...
  17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    IMO this sentence sums up what is wrong with your thinking. Music isn't about seeing who can play better than who(m). It's about making music. Going around saying this guy sucks and that guy sucks and I'm better than you doesn't really give me the impression that you care much about the music itself. It makes me think you are just out to be "better" than other people, whatever that may be.
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Right on, Phat Ham.

And cradle, no matter how good someone gets, there is always someone better.

Who's better, Jaco or Michael Manring?:rolleyes:

They're both great, and each have a unique voice as a soloist, but can also hold a groove as well as anyone around.

But you can bet that there is somebody out there somewhere that nobody has ever heard of that can blow both of them away.
  19. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Billy Sheehan owns them both!!!

20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No offense, but isn't this the same kind of thinking that most of the posters in this thread are castigating cradle for having? What's the musical relevance of who can "blow away" whom, and by whose lights anyway? That whole way of thinking just seems like a useless and counterproductive one to me.