Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Listen up, you headless freakos!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3777489679&rd=1

Looks pretty horrid, if you ask me, but I know alot of you guys dig the Q shape. It's got a TransTrem on it, which makes it pretty darn cool.

This is the second TransTrem I've seen come up on ebay in the past month. One wasn't installed on anything, and in mint shape, but I didn't bid on it because the seller had zero feedback and was located in Belgium(!). I'm not bidding on this one because I just hate the bass. Blech.

Heavy, aren't you into these Q series basses? Are you going to jump on this one?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I wish - no budget. Pretty cool, though - I saw an XQ in this color at a local guitar show a few years ago, although I'm pretty sure it was a hardtail.

Buy it for me, Uncle Ben? (Maybe that should be "Nephew Ben"!)

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, since you refrain from putting your full birthdate on your profile, I can assume that you are an old geezer who's insecure about revealing his true age. Therefore I guess I'd be a nephew.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Internet ID theft protection, my friend. Analysis of my posts could tell a scammer a lot about me, so I leave a little out.

Suffice it to say JFK was in office when I was hatched.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's just crying out for a refinish! :D

6. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I love the original Q shape. I'm just a freak like that. That's a nice one, but the price, she issa too high!

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    A TransTrem will do that kind of thing. ;)

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It looks good to me... except for the shape :eyebrow:
    The colour is nice, though.

Whats that two electronics compartments in the back?!?

9. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Anyone else think that looks like the lovechild of a Kubicki and a Spector?

10. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    geshel do you still have that warwick quadruplet that you were trying to sell in a post a long time ago? If you do i am interested

11. That looks smokin. I really like the Flea-ish finish!

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

OK, I'll own up to being an old fart (36). I still LOVE the look of my basic black XL-2. I'm addicted to the solid feeling of having a virtually indestructable bass. :bassist: It has such a soild feel to it with the graphite neck-through-body combination, though it's HEAVY for it's size. Warping or alignments have NEVER been an issue, obviously. Even my toddler can wail away on it when I turn my back and I don't have a heart attack.

13. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've always been partial to the XM's. I have an XL-2 that's a keeper, but always wanted a white XM with black binding. They just look awesome.

Q's? yawn....not for me.

14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Ever see the pictures of the prototype Fretted/Fretless XM on the Steinberger World website? Ingenious idea for a bass that "swings both ways" :D but I guess it didn't sound worth beans. Still, it's a brilliantly clever device, and looks great!