1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Listening to music you don't like to hear a bass tone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Baryonyx, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Do you ever find yourself listening to music you don't like just to listen to the bass tone? I was thinking about this, and I think I do now and again, maybe not in a huge way, but fair enough!

I'm such a nut for the Wal tone that I often listen to RHCP songs where Flea used one. Similarly, I find myself listening to them to hear the sound of his Modulus Flea bass, though the only album of theirs I really dig is Californication!

Similarly, I've kinda outgrown Mudvayne, but I occasionally go back to listen, and it's usually a want to hear a Thumb on record that draws me in!

I find that Vail Johnson doesn't write the best tunes, but his sound on a Kubicki bass is just heavenly, and it makes me listen for longer than I would if he was using say, a Rondo bass!

Anyone else ever listen to music they don't dig a great deal just to hear a delicious bass tone?

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Yes that happens.
    It happened a LOT in the 80's when "disco" and "dance music" was putting the hurtin' on other forms of music BUT it did get me to have an Alembic for a short while.

Still do it and yes for the TONE.
    Most of my personal music is a large pile of bass-centric stuff whether it's country, blues, rock, alternative, classical, pipe organ(bass pipes RULE!), "dance/disco", soundtracks(learned the original Mission Impossible music when it came out on LP).

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Who were you listening to to hear the Alembic tone? I'll listen to practically anyone to hear an Alembic! Despite my love of Alembic and Modulus, I haven't yet listened to much Phil Lesh stuff, or any Phish!

4. I think it's really a must if you want to be a well-rounded player. Not just tone, but different approaches to the groove. A good example for me is D'Angelo's "Voodoo." Not my cup of tea musically, but I bought it because I kept hearing people say how great Pino Palladino's playing is on that album. And, they were right. I'm fascinated by the way he plays so far behind the beat, and the way they stretch and bend and twist the groove. I've never had occasion to play that way, but it's pretty cool to listen to.

5. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    I definitely do this as well, and the first recording that jumps out at me is "Graceland." Man, I hate that bouncy happy feeling, but the bass tone is ridiculously good.

Another one is almost anything by Tribal Tech. Yes, I understand Willis kills and I do love his, Covington, and Henderson's playing, but I cannot stand that keyboard! Yet, again and again I have found myself coming back and listening to their Weather channel recordings for those little moments where Gary's bass just sizzles and pops.

Finally, the Cure do nothing for me, but I have to admit that Gallop's bass tone can be good.

6. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    Oh yeah, I've always wanted to pick up "Voodoo" for those same reasons, despite also thinking I may not dig the music. I'm sure I could learn plenty from it, though...one of these days, I guess.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Thats always a danger in fusion, that the keyboard tone will be awful! :p A great shame really!