1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Listening to your own bass work

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by pepsbro, Aug 15, 2007.

1. pepsbro

pepsbro

Jun 16, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Has any one ever put down a bass track for someone, gone back and listened to it and realized that you would have a hard time figuring out what you just did.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I did some off-the-cuff type recordings a couple of years ago where it was just a 4 track tape recorder set up in the middle of a room with me playing bass, my brother playing electric and my friend playing acoustic.

I was pretty much fine with everything I did, but I did come up with these arpeggios that I was playing behind the guitars and wondered where they came from...listening back I had to play along with the tape to work out what I had been doing!

3. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    yep, has happened to me many times. including in a jam we recorder at practice once, there was a bass solo thing which I did not even remember doing whatsoever.

4. I usually write a tab(not cool, I know, but it`s fast) of all the riffs I play. But if I suddenly insert a random lick for a bar or two - hell, it`s improvisation, how can I reapeat it if I don`t even know how I`ve played it back then.

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Lay off the bong :D

6. Feast

Feast

May 12, 2007
    Massachusetts
    haha, not me.. out drummer def needs to though

7. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Yes!

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I always know what I'm doing. For the real technical stuff on my band's last album, I spent a good amount of time working it out beforehand.

9. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    A few years ago, my brother transcribed a bass part I had improvised during a recording session.

He took his Finale' bass part from the printer without telling me what he'd done, handed me the chart, and asked me if I could play the part as written.

He had a good laugh watching my face as I tried to figure out a bass part that was far more difficult to read than it was to play, especially since I had little memory of the session, and no memory of the part I'd improvised.

10. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Maybe he transcribed it wrong?

11. SAMMBASS54

SAMMBASS54

Aug 12, 2007
    PHILADELPHIA
    THAT USUALLY HAPPENS WHEN YOU GO INTO YOUR ZONE AND YOU JUST PLAY MOST OF THE TIME YOU WOULD NOT KNOW THE WORK IF IT WWASN'T RECORDED