1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lite Loud Riggy Rig for UBASS questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mingusporter, Jul 26, 2012.

1. So Im thinkin the s.u.b. ubass. Loving the demos loving the concept and most of all those tones it goes from ampeg baby to dirty bucket pbass with a little tweaking. At least from what I've heard in the few demos I've heard. I was just curious as to if anyone is giging with these regularly and if so what is the context and rig you use. I have been thinking about maybe an ampeg pf350, love the tones for electric w 2x10s or 1x15. However was concerned that it might color the sound too much for upright tones. This rig would be plenty loud to lay into the mix at jams and the size gigs i usually play. Was wondering if there were suggestions for micro setups with similar volume output and a more transparent sound price is kind of a factor id like to see it around 1200 or less portability like not dreading stairwells portability is a factor, and reliability is most important. Idk maybe agular th500 with, gk something or other, gb shuttle, Eden? Heads and cabs suggestions either 2x10s or 1x15, maybe a 12 Idk .If the ampeg can handle those throaty upright tones you think so confirm my suspicions. I really only have a gc in close proxy imity to me so its pretty much alot of combos a couple random gk offerings the pf500 and markbass stuff which is nice but Idk i really haven't found a cab of theirs that i like. Help and suggestions links to samples and good sites for online ordering with helpful knowledgeable people and a reasonable return policy are appreciated too. Thanks

2. Also forgot to add i plan to use a fishman platnium ac bass preamp for boost and eq if i feel the rig needs it.

3. I've done a few pop rock covers gigs, acoustic guitar, djembe and vocals, regular ubass and 30lb trace elliot head with swr 2x10. It is nicely responsive to plucking harder and nearer the bridge to get a more aggressive tone.

I wouldn't have any qualms about playing in a full on rock band but it wouldn't look right. Hence the s.u.b I guess.

I sometimes use it for rehearsal for the jazz band, same setup, different EQ, it sounds enough like upright to pass.

4. Yeah i play in alot of situations but my approach has always been along the lines of an aggressive bluesy groove thing minus Chris wood and Robbie Shakespeare big influences. What model Trace do you use? I know alot of cats have a thing for those.

5. Have heard good things about trace any particular models?

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Seeing how personal the tone, nuances, and feel of playing are for each musician, it would probably be best to buy the bass, try as many amps as you can, and report back here with what you did or didn't like about them if you can't find what you're looking for locally. ;)

7. That's basically what its go.na come down to anyway just thought i could maybe get some leads on anything that i might be overlooking that's all. Im saving for the kala right now and will be actively hunting soon after.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That falls under "bass amplification urban myths." I have a PF350/twin PF115he rig as well as a handful of other Ampeg rigs and they all sound absolutely wonderful with upright, very much that "my bass only louder" sound. All you have to do is turn knobs till it sounds good. "Coloring the sound" is a meaningless buzzphrase that many bassists like to say, never realizing that the tones they think of as "uncolored" are always colored. If not the amp, then the cab for sure. And most of those other amps you mentioned don't have flat response with the knobs at noon, either.

So don't worry about that, and just get an amp that sounds good to you, and if it doesn't sound good, twist the knobs till it does. If it still doesn't sound good, try another till you come up with a winner.

9. 250W, eats much higher rated amps for breakfast. GP 12 SMX preamp, EQ up the wazoo. Made circa 1994 under Harmon. Rock solid. Not for sale.

10. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have a YouTube channel:watsontbass. I usually go for an upright-ish tone. And I almost always have an overdrive pedal kicked in. Used to be the VT Bass, now the SFX Red Dragon. I'di also always use the F-deck as a preamp--it works magic. I'd bet that you wouldn't want to make the output signal of any U-Bass "transparent". The piezo is amplifying plastic strings. Personally I do not want to hear some of what that transmits. I like a tube sound, and it adds a warm, thumpy closer-to-upright sound. I'd say try all kinds of amps and see what your ears like. You may be surprised.

11. Actually have watched alot of your videos before i even posted this thread. It was the fact that you were actually posting gig videos and capping those tones that concreted it for me. This is not a dream this is not some gimmick this is a real tool that you can afford that delivers a very reasonable approximation of a baby bass i knew then the trigger would be pulled. I Was also curious about your setup thanks for all the info. And thank you to everybody for your advice. When i finally get the kala i'll update on what i think about the various rigs with it, & wh.ch one finds a home.