1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lite-weight Fender Roscoe Beck 5'r

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 59jazz, Oct 14, 2006.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I love my Fender RBV, but it gets kind a heavy after 30 mins of playing. Last time I disassembled it for a good cleaning, the body itself felt like it was over 6 lbs. I'm entertaining the idea of building a body that's lighter; say 3.5 to 4 lbs..... swamp ash, lite weight alder, chambered body? Any suggestions, ideas? Wood types?

Thanks, Steve

2. alder makes for a very light weight body. I recommend it. Also, do you know what that body is made of? I'm making a body out of solid zebrawood and it's 6.4 lbs before routing for pickups and neck pocket and before being carved. Final weight should be around 5.5 lbs or less, so your bass' body should be ash maybe?

3. basswood is lightweight ,if you don't mind the stigma attatched to it

4. 59jazz

Wisler, the RBV body is made of alder...it's got to be the heaviest chunk of alder I have ever held. Also, what's the stigma attatched to basswood? Maybe basswood capped with mapel?:meh:

5. most people just consider basswood to be "cheap". Although it is used in instruemts like MM bongo's. It dosn't have much of a noticable grain so it isn't to great for natural finishes. but a basswood body with a spalted top would have the best of both worlds

6. 59jazz

I know that a change in wood type/density, will chage the sound a bit, I don't want to radically change the "RBV" sound. The bass is shorelin gold, and the replacement body will look identical to the original.....one won't know the difference until one picks it up.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021