Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Literature Suggestions Request

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by B. Graham, Aug 31, 2003.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Hello Folks,

It's been years, I'm seriously rusty, and just getting back into contrabass.

I need some db literature suggestions for some solo's, duets, db and piano, etc. Kicker is I can't yet deal with anything beyond around a D on the G string; not sure if this is 5th or 6th position (or neither).

There has to be something out there that'snot "Little Brown Jug" or the like.

Thanks,

Bill Graham

2. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
  3. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I'm using the Simandl already.

The need is motivated by the lady who is the music director at my church. She's asking me to find some music for piano and bass, solo bass, etc. We are very blessed to pull a lot of students from some great schools. I am beyond collegiate age, but she'd like me to play some more selections.

Thanks.

4. Dondi

Dondi

May 3, 2003
    NYC
    Try the Slama studies (publ. by Intertnational), then try the Marcello Sonatas and the Vivaldi Sonatas, both published by Schirmer. You will have to pick and choose individual movements, but you'll find some things that will provide variety from the Simandl. There is also a transcription of the Capuzzi concerto that puts it in D major that you might want to try.