1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Little Amps With TONE...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DumDrummer, Mar 16, 2008.

1. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    I want a little, QUALITY amp with some tone. Wattage is not important, I just use it for practice. It seems like if you want a good quality amp with some tone, you also get stuck with a lot of wattage. I prefer the warmness of tubes (at least a tube front end), but will not limit my options to that in this case.

So a small, quality built, preferably low wattage (less than 300, though i know that isn't exactly low). What are my options, and what do YOU recomend? I have been considering:

Eden WTX-260
    Genz shuttle 3.0
    Genz neo pak 3.5 (if I can find one)
    EA iAMP 200 (though "tone" doesn't seem to be their mantra)
    Maybe a Mesa Walkabout if I can find one used, I don't want to drop a grr on this.

Feel free to add any I should consider.

Also, I am using an EA 112 Wizzy if you care to know.

2. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    With the Wizzy at 4 ohms, just about any of those would be great for the purposes you describe.

The WTX260 has disappointed many with its volume and headroom, but 4 ohms will get the most out of it. When I owned mine, I found it to be fine for my acoustic gig purposes. It has the Eden tone, so if you like that, you should like the WTX. I did find it to be a bit more finicky than most Edens about gain settings ... I needed to crank the input gain higher than I was used to, but when I did, available volume and tone increased a great deal.

The Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0, which I currently own, is much louder than the WTX, even though it's only rated 40 watts more ... it just seems a ton stronger. I really like it, and find it to be an extremely warm and capable FET amp. It's my main gigging amp right now. With 2 10's for a 4 ohm load, it's handling a loud electric blues band just fine. With just one 10, it's doing great for my upright gigs.

The NeoPak is a great option, especially with the 2 ohm update done, as it would allow you to add another Wizzy for larger gigs (500 watts at a 2 ohm load). I know that's not a priority for you with this practice setup, though. Very versatile, nice 12ax7 in the pre. Can be very clean or can warm things up a lot based on your pre settings. Great head. I still have one of these as well, and have gigged with it a ton.

iAmp200 ... I love the semi-para eq of the iAmp line for upright (I used to gig an iAmp 500 and 1 or 2 Wizzys, depending on the size of the room). I never fell in love with the tone for electric bass, although a Sansamp or an EBS Multicomp in tubesim mode would probably make it sing quite nicely.

Can't say anything about the Walkabout, as I haven't owned or even played / heard one. However, they obviously get rave reviews for the tone.

One amp I'll add in here that is the same weight as the Walkabout is the Eden WT330. My favorite Eden head ever. Very versatile and warm for a solid state head. Also, like the NeoPak, it can run a 2 ohm load (420 watts at 2 ohms). You should be able to find a used one for a very nice price. I've owned three of them, and still have one, although I never play it anymore. My last piece of Eden gear ... that's fitting, because imho it's the best piece of Eden gear.

All of it is quality gear. I'd try to listen and play as many of them as possible. Any of them will make very nice sounds with a Wizzy ...

Cheers

3. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Thanks man, that was really helpful.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    frankly,

why not the EA Micro? love mine, and sounds terrific w/ the wizzy. literally feels as light as my paperback dictionary.

another cool one is the genz benz shuttle 6.0. sure, its 600 watts, but might as well get the most for your money, especially in something that weighs less than 4 lbs., and yet is loud enough for most any gigs.

5. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Actually had the micro hooked up to the Wizzy in the store when I bought it... didn't really dig it.

6. If you prefer tube warmth, either the Mesa Walkabout (really tubey sounding.... almost like a 100% tube amp... warm and fat at all volume levels) or the new Shuttle 6.0 would probably be the best bet.

The Eden260 is a disappointment on a number of levels, and if you didn't dig the EA300, you would probably like the other iAmps less... very clean, crisp and relatively transparent (although the Wizzy would 'dirty them up' just a touch).

If you can try one of those Shuttles, or find a Neo Pak used, that would probably be the best value for dollar for those looking for a hybrid head with some tube warmth.

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have a Wizzy and a few of the amps you've mentioned. The Neopak sounds very good through the Wizzy and so does the Mesa Walkabout. You didn't mention the GK heads. These sound very good through the Wizzy. I have the 1001RB-II but the smaller 400RB-IV would sound the same. If you're near a GC, take your Wizzy over and give it a try.

8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    How about a LMII..........this amp is super light and very, very, very warm. Pair it up with a 112 of your choice. I think a Epi 112 would be a killer pairing with the LMII.

9. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    musicians friend has a wt330 thats nice,or try one of the edens nemmies,fender has some nice combos too,good luck

10. I'm pretty keen on the GK Microbass amps.

11. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    The new Acoustic B20

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

so what kind of sound would you like? i can only guess something very warm?

13. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    The Walkabout's a very cool little amp, but my favorite "small" amp is still my 800RB. It's relatively small and the overdrive circuit has tone that rivals a lot of tube amps. And through a ported cab like the 410HLF or 610HLF, it's got gobs of low end and punch. I originally ran it through a Warwick 411 Pro cab, which was great but it was a really awkward carry, and it was 8 ohms.

14. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Ampeg B110R.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    + whatever for the Walkabout. The very definition of tube tone, sans tube power section.

16. Yeah, those things rock. They also cost quite a bit, though.

17. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    If "low wattage" is what you want, the WTX-260 is for you. It sounds fantastic, but I can't help but feel that its 260 watts is a lie.

18. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, I love mine. Not a lot of volume but lightweight (26 lbs) and a great warm, rich sound that sounds like a much bigger amp.

The Walkabout is outstanding too. Lots of volume there if you want it.

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T combo. I have done a variety of gigs with this thing and it hasn't let me down yet.

20. squidbillybob

squidbillybob

May 19, 2007
    gallien krueger backline 600
    it goes great wiht my stingray:D