1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Little Big Muff Vs. Guyatone TZ-2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EKEulogy, Jul 20, 2007.

1. EKEulogy

EKEulogy

Jul 10, 2007
    Which one has more fuzz and does not lose bottom end?:confused:

2. From what I've heard, you need to get the EHX Little Big Muff, which seems to be way more suitable for bass than guitar. Didn't hear much about the Guyatone, though.

3. i have the little big muff.. and you DO NOT lose any bottom end.. it has a such a nice silky tone and you can shape it tone wise to to a nice crisp high or a nice LOW LOW end bass fuzz while still keeping your oringal tone from the low end side... i say you go for the LBM... definitly a great pedal and built like a tank IMO

4. I would actually prefer the Guyatone personally. It sounds remaniciant of the Univox Superfuzz, which you might recognise from some of the Soft Machine's bass work. I have a friend that swears by his TZ-2. As a bonus it's also a good deal smaller in physical size. The Guyatone micro delay is also really good. I'm thinking of putting together a little mini-pedalboard for my home/practice setup. If I were you I would try to check both fuzzes out before making the call. Or at least check out some sound samples of each to see which type of voicing you prefer.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I've owned the TZ-2, the Little Big Muff and Tplyons' modded Big Muff.

In terms of low end loss, you're safe with either one. Both pedals retained the bottom just fine.

As far as which has "more fuzz", that's entirely subjective. Both can crank out plenty of gain, but with pretty different flavors. The LBM is a warm smooth fuzz and the Guyatone has more of a biting, cutting fuzz.

One thing I did notice was that the Muff doesn't cut through a mix very well. With a single, clean guitar I could hear it just fine, but otherwise it disappears a bit. Of course, I don't know any bass fuzz that can be heard above two distorted guitars, but the TZ-2 does a better job in a dense setting.

The bottom line is that they both sound good, and won't lose your low frequencies but you have to try them out for yourself.

6. EKEulogy

EKEulogy

Jul 10, 2007
    See, I am looking for something that can distort the hell out of my sound, but i want it to be fuzz and not OD. And can someone enlighten me, because I do not understand how can fuzz be silky smooth? If it is subtle perhaps? And I like the BM sound, but its not the same as it is on guitar. But then again I have not tried either the LBM or TZ-2, anyone know some examples of each or clips?

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    if you want out of this world fuzz check out Death By Audio. They make a bunch of different Fuzzes that will make you crap you pants.

8. Amokoma

Amokoma

Feb 4, 2007
    Norway
    Simply put: get the guyatone! It's really small, and packs a mean low-end punch. And it's really cheap!

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I always think of my Little Big Muff as being "creamy" as the fuzz is so intense that it actually sounds smooth and creamy.

Ever had a Killkenny or Guiness beer? Its thick and dark and somehow "creamy" for a beverage with absolutely no dairy product in in.

Thats kind of like a good fuzz pedal. so much fuzz that its actually smooth!!

Hope that helps :)

10. Mace

Mace

Jul 9, 2007
    UK
    I bought the Guyatone TZ-2 last week and to be honest I think its a bit limited as sound goes. Its great if all your after is heavy distorted/fuzz and it did seem to keep the bottom end quite big. I play a gretsch Broadkaster though and being hollow bodied it's just a little noisey for me!
    I am gonna be putting it on Ebay later this week, it's been played once for about 15mins and put straight back into its packaging.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I'm not surprised.
    It is not the kind of pedal you can tame in a few minutes.
    It's very raw and intense, much more than a Muff. I love mine.

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I actually thought of your soundclip when I saw this thread Jazz Ad. That clip was the reason I ended up buying the Guyatone, but I couldn't find it.

While I've since decided that what I need for my purposes is a gated fuzz, I too liked the TZ-2 better than the Muff. Again, different strokes for different folks and they are very different sounds, but I just liked the aggressiveness of the Guyatone more. And even with the simple two knob setup I agree that it does take some time to really find the settings I liked.

I loved using it for power chords, especially sliding them on my fretless. I would get this ring-mod like clang which was coolest sounding high up on the fretboard.

But back to the OP, EKEulogy what kind of sound are you looking for? What type of music do you play? It would make it easier to recommend one of these pedals in specific or maybe a different pedal altogether.

13. EKEulogy

EKEulogy

Jul 10, 2007
    I actually play lots of styles, anywhere from blues and classic rock to Tool and really experimental stuff. I like experimenting with effects and i wanted something heavier than the overdrive on my amp, and I have played both US and Russian muffs, but neither met the heavy fuzz I wanted. And yes I know fuzz is not overdrive. The problem is that I wont really be able to play either unless I just happen to see either at a music shop, so I'm in the risk going off sound-clips and opinions. I play a solid-body and I like lots of noise noise, so sounds like the Guyatone is for me. But one question, can the Guyatone range form subtle to heavy?

14. hoerni

hoerni

Jun 4, 2007
    NJ
    I picked up a Guyatone last month from a little shop in PA.

I've only tried it with a guitar so far, but I really liked it best with the gain knob below 9 oclock. It was warm below that, but after that, it got way too brittle for my taste.

I'm going to have to try it with bass now though.

15. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    after much careful thought, testing, and deliberation, I just said '&$(% this' and bought both.

16. EKEulogy

EKEulogy

Jul 10, 2007
    well I do not want to spend a lot

17. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    *shrug* they were both bloody cheap.....

18. EKEulogy

EKEulogy

Jul 10, 2007
    I'm 16 and dont have a job so for $68, I better like it. And double that is worse.

19. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    If you're 16, then you should get a job. :p

Seriously though... I'd kill for a job. Job = money. Money = fuel GAS. Simple equations.