1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Little big muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sundown1206, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    What are your opinions on EHX little big muff? Does it work well with a bass guitar? How's it stand up against the bass version of big muff or any other muffs? Thanks

2. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Don't bother with the BBM, LBM, or BM go straight for the Russians! Chris, dude from Muse, uses three black russians.

3. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Why three? And why? Just because he uses the Russians or because you have experience with them all?

4. because hes got three separate amps set up, so hes got a big muff per rig (at least im thats what ive read). i personally own the russian one and not only does it whip every other muff that i've tried (USA, LBM, English Muffin, DBM, MM, BBM [and although its not in the muff family, the Bass Balls]) its the best low end fuzz in my opinion.
    unfortunately its been discontinued so you'd probably need to ebay it.

5. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Is the little big muff good? Cause I already ordered it without doing enough research and now I'm worried lol

6. I've got the LBM on my pedal board, its sound is usable and pretty fuzzy though it does suck some low end. If you find it to fizzy or thin sounding you could do what I did and I'm sure a bunch of other people have too. I have it split with my clean signal so it sounds a lot thicker and works well in my situation. You can either modify it with a blend knob or get a looper or something of the sort.

Who knows, you could like it straight out of the box too.

7. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    What do you mean split? How would I do that? And would there be a way to mod it inside for a better low range? Idk much about that stuff but I'm good with soldering and a quick learner.

8. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I really dug mine, while I had it. It does sound a bit different from the Big Muff's I've played...less "fuzzy" sounding, a bit grittier. You control the drive with the volume of the signal being input to it - you can control the tone the same way really. For awhile I had a Really Cool tone going on with a P-bass with a messed up tone control and the Little Muff - if I wanted to get that sound again these days, I'd just pop an EQ pedal in front of the Little Muff and boost some lows (and bring the volume down).

I found the low end still well in the "usable range". I think ultimately I let it go simply because you can't use daisy chained power on those little EHX effects.

9. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Why can't you daisy chain power to ehx pedals?

10. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Musket v2 sounds great on bass if you're looking for a versatile muff

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    They were really popular a few years back around here, then the BBM came out and the flock flocked to the BBM. I personally have never used a LBM because every other opinion I've read on it contrasted from the next, some said has great lows some said it had none... most though have said it was noisy.I don't mind noisy really but it just never grabbed my interest, from what others have said and from clips that have been posted.

I kind'a agree with xray [although I don't care a fig for the muse dude] about the russians as I have a Black EHX and a green Sovtek and I like them better then the BBM [which is in my paperweight list], I even like the NYC better then the BBM even though the lows aren't as good, the russian made ones have the most lows. But as with all muffs none of them have very good mids, so depending on your base bass sound you will get MUD or you will get lost, this is why the BBM has the blend option to fix that. Unfortunately because the blend on the BBM in uncontrollable you can have problems with it as well, for me when I had the right amount of fuzz the volume was too loud and when the volume was where I wanted it the fuzz got lost. Also as I have said before I find it cheap and lofi sounding compared to every other muff variant I have tried. That said it is a very loved pedal around here... And I have yet to really understand why...;)

tonymcbony has the right Idea. Go looking at some of the more off the beaten muffs like the musket, supercollider, Thunder Cloud, GGG tuned, swollen Pickle ect.

12. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Weren't Russian muffs banned from being imported because they contained lead?

>Insert mailorder bride-joke here<

13. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB

"Is that a case of lead poisoning? Or are you just happy to see me...?"

14. I like the LBM. Its fun. It can be lost in a mix, but I like it when I am playing a part alone, or in combination with more dirt.

What kinda music do you play? If you have to deal with two guitars with raging distortion, the LBM may not be a good choice. I only has one guitarist and he doesn't use much dirt, as I'm kinda the one who makes it heavy.

15. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I play with two guitars lol

16. buy a regular Big Muff and mod it for a regular nine volt adapter and add bigger input and output caps. Then read up on modding the tone stack and do so.

Or buy a Supercollider.

17. burl0029

burl0029 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    This is false. I owned the LBM for quite awhile and it worked just fine with my Godlyke PowerAll (along with all my other pedals). The only EHX pedal I know that doesn't play nice with a daisy chain is the Nano Clone.

I've owned my share of muffs, in this order: USA, LBM, black Russian, BBM (currently own), 70's "Ram's Head" version. I don't think I'm gonna say anything new, but I'll share my experience with each.

• The USA was fun, but lacked low end.
    • The LBM was a giant leap forward and I used it for quite a long time. It had much more low end and sounded more grindy than fizzy (if that makes any sense).
    • The Russian was fun and had a ton of low end, but didn't quite cut like the LBM. It was a bit too muddy for me. I happened to buy the Russian together on eBay with an EHX LPB-1. The Russian really came to life when I put the booster in front of it. At the time, though, I didn't have the room on my board for two pedals, especially with the Russian being so much bigger than the LBM. I might have to revisit that combo now that my board is much bigger. (BRAINFLASH: perhaps I could mount the LPB circuit inside the Russian chassis and add another switch...oh boy)
    • The BBM replaced the LBM on my board. I could make them sound pretty much the same by tweaking the knobs in the normal mode on the BBM. With the peace of mind that I wouldn't be losing the sound I already liked, I went with the BBM because of the added versatility of the mode toggle.
    • The Ram's Head muff was my greatest craigslist find. I was incredibly interested to hear that oh-so-coveted sound. I was underwhelmed. I had a buddy try it on guitar and it did sound great there. It was that perfect balance of smooth and fuzzy that is always talked about. On bass, though, it lacked low end and any kind of wow factor. Some chick sold it to me for $75. I sold it on eBay to some guy in France for $530. I then turned around and bought my Jaguar. It was like getting a free bass. Hooray for CL!
    I'm still quite happy with the BBM. I did, however, get to try the Swollen Pickle the other day at GC. I liked it enough to hunt for a deal and compare them at home. We'll see what happens when they face off head to head with my own gear. It never ends.

18. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I really like the Little Big Muff. Many who owned one of the first ones issued a few years back may not realize that the circuit was improved and the order of the knobs reversed on later editions. I owned one of the first ones, then last year bought another and realized it had better low end, less uncontrollable fizz and really sounds fantastice with bass. Its one of the best deals going for a quality true bypass fuzz pedal that works on bass.

19. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    So thebbm is betterthan the lbm?

20. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Missed this...

I don't have the technical reason down - something about the way that the circuit design flips the polarity of the voltage, de yada de yada.....

Bottom line: "Do Not use Daisy Chained Power Supply" is printed right above the 9v input on the pedal itself. And, unless you like the smell of burnt PI, I don't recommend you ignore that little sticker.