Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

little bit more wireing help please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by warwickben, May 4, 2005.

1. i hope that Lyle Caldwells doesnt mind this. hes been helping me with my jazz bass. he sent me this earlyer today.
    [​IMG]

i have a jazz bass that i added a p in to i wanted to have a blend knob for the two j's and a master volume for them. then on a stacked knob have tone for all pickups and volume for the p.

i wired it as the drawing showed. only thing i couldnt figure out is were do i solder the wire from the blend pot to the back of it.there no place to. i had that wire conect to the back of the master volume and ran a wire from the back of that to the back of the stacked pot;then i connected the bridge ground to that.
    but now i have some werid problem.

when i have the master volume down for the j's u hear nothing . even if the p is fullon nothing. if i have the p pickup volume all the way down u dont hear the j's.

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Well, in my defense, I was in a hurry and have never wired a bass like this. <g>

I'd suggest reversing the pickup leads and output wires from each volume pot, if the current plan leads to volume pot interaction.

I meant the picture to indicate that the blend pot could be grounded to the back of itself, but it's fine to ground it to either of the other two pots or to the output jack ground lug.

Wiring the grounds like in my pictorial (see the pickups FAQ) is optimal, but I didn't have time to sketch all that out for this schematic. The blend pot should be wired so that the output lug on one level is wired to the output lug of the other level, and then on to the input lug of the master volume. And the ground lug of one level should be wired to the ground lug on the other level, and then to a ground point as above.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Like so:

[​IMG]

4. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Suggestion, just making sure you understand ground. You have all the grounds wired together, but you don;t need that much wire. They just need to be "connected" some how. That's partially why if you look at teh original wiring of your bass the grounds ont he pots are usually soldered to the pot chassis (helps get rid of interference, static, etc doing this) and then there is a wire going from one pot chassis, to the next, then to the ground ring on the output jack. Also you will need to hook up the gorund wire from the bridge to help against interference.

Basically, if you want to save on wire length and such just take the shortest possible route for all grounds to connect to each other. If this means daisy chaining that is fine.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Actually, no. It's better to have individual grounds like in my second schematic. This is star grounding and it avoids ground loops and lowers the noise in the circuit.

But yes, you can also just wire pot lugs to the backs of pots. It's certainly how it's done most often.

And on a Jazz Bass with a metal control plate there is no need to wire pot to pot, as the control plate provides that continuity.

6. iam sorry if i offened you. i was just trying to get my bass back togarther because i had a gig tonite and wnated to use my jazz but my warwick was fine.

7. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Why would I be offended? I'm far from the only guy who can help you. That's what forums are for.

8. um would it be a bad idea to use copper to make a control plate.

9. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Well, it would be less rigid than steel and would tarnish easily. And the standard steel control plate is conductive as is, so there's no reason to make one out of copper. Occasionally you'll want to use sandpaper and naptha on the bottom to remove any coating to ensure metal to metal contact, but that's it.

10. i make things out of copper alot. lamps trees art. i know how to make copper more rigid. i could buff it and put clear coat on the top side so it wouldnt tanish.

11. iam haveing trouble getting all of the wires connted to the output jack. coul;d i just sould all the pickup negatives and the two wire comming from the pots to one wire. put electric tape around that solder point then conect that single wire to the jack.