Little bit of amp help

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 21, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hi I live in venezuela and we don't get many good amps here and I plan on playing with lots of different types of bands so I need a veritile small amp setup. Now I have two choices I can buy a small head in the states and then build the cabs here or I can build a kind of jumped up pa system i.e a crossover going in to a stereo graphic eq therefore letting me give different eq settings for high and low notes then this runs into a stereo power amp and then out in to a 1x12 or 1x15 and a 2x8 or 2x10 not decided on the cabs yet but the rack will cost about 600 uk pounds at most including the cabs but the head will cost me 800 or so because i'm looking at iamp and eden time traveller.

I was just wondering which you would go for ? Which will have the best quality ?
    Which is the most veritile ?
    Oh and any ideas on what would be the best cab combos

Thanx very much in advance
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK

I used to have a biamped rig, but now feel that it wasn't really neccesary for the kind of music I play at the kind of volume I play it - it's the kind of set up I'd use if I needed a crystal clear sound at very high volume...

However, if you have the technical ability to build your rig, then you would presumably be able to choose each component on its own merit rather than getting whatever comes with the head... having said that, but the Eden and the iAmp are fine amp heads - both very clean sounding with tonnes of EQ options. Have you tried either? did they give you a certain kind of sound?

To be honest I think that versatility as a selling point is slight overrated - you need to be able to get 'your' sound, and vary that a bit, not get a million different sounds, generally (I know there are exceptions to this, but my own anecdotal evidence on a straw poll of my bass playing peers is that they pretty much use 'their' sound, and work from there... So with that in mind, you want to find the amp that has your sound inherent within it. For me, that's the Ashdown stuff, which is sooo my sound, I run it completely flat! I know other people who do the same with SWR or EA...

sorry I can't be more conclusive, but it all depends on the specifics of your situation and your preferences...

good luck

3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've not had a chance to try the eden or the iamp just gone on what people have said about them.

The only reason I want a really versitile amp is because i've not really found my sound yet and since i'm not in any bands at the moment I want to be able to join any band I can find and my sound fit in no matter what music they play.

The only reason I was looking at the crossover is for effect purposes because I like using an octave unit but none really track well below A or they just start to distort so I was thinking I could just apply an octave to the higher notes.

I'll give you a idea of the gear I have maybe this will help: Rickenbacker 4003 and a cheap 5 string peavey (Just to basically see if I like playing 5 strings), also have a tanglewood curbow 4 in england that I should get brought over here in the summer unless the neck is broken again.
    Pedals: Boss lmb3, dod eq, korg ax1b and a korg ax1000g(Really good for lots of different distortions and cheap amp modeling).

Music I play is alot of 60's 70's rock and quite abit of modern stuff, slap and jazz as well but after listening to some of the samples on your web site I might try some solo bass.