Little Black Thingy On Vintage Fender Basses

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KingOlav, Dec 13, 2012.

  1. KingOlav


    Oct 1, 2011
    Hey-ho thar, bassers. I searched the forums and didn't see a question like mine, so here it is:

    That little black thing that's on the pickguard below the G string on the '51 P-Bass, '72 Tele Bass, and '62 Jazz Bass. What's it called? And can I get one?

    I saw a demo video on YouTube for a 1972 Tele Bass, and the guy called it a "pull bar". But I don't know if that's the official name for it. Any ideas?
  2. Tis a thumb rest. Theu can be found at any bass parts shop. Just hunt around. Back then, they were called tug bars.
  3. two fingers

    two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

    Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  4. KingOlav


    Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks guys!
  5. Back in the old days it was not uncommon for a bassist to play with her thumb, so the (usually) index or middle finger would be resting (tugging against) the tug-bar.
  6. Finger rest.