1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Little critters in the house

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Jan 3, 2008.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I've only been home for vacation for about two weeks, and I've been hearing a lot of scurrying and scratching sounds coming from the attic. My sister said she'd been hearing those noises since probably November, when it started getting real cold outside. I also moved one of our couches out today and found some "presents".

Any tips on how to get rid of them? I've surveyed the house and looked for possible cracks and holes where they could've gotten in. My guess is that they are getting in through the attic vent, and I won't be able to seal that off myself. So right now it seems control is our best option. My plan of action is to get some poisoned bait for the attic and snap traps for the rest of the house. Your thoughts? I know the issue with poisoned bait is that if a mouse dies in between the walls, it's going to stink. However, since I'm only using it in the attic and it's freezing cold up there, maybe the decomposition won't happen and they'll just be frozen/mummified?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Sounds like you've got a case of Morfs. Common sense and a little logic generally gets rid of them pretty quickly. :D

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    if they are rats, borrow a cat. that's how i scared em' off..

4. I used to have a problem of vermin from the vacant lot behind my house burrowing into the basement part of my chimney (where one sweeps the ashes from upstairs). I went to Home Depot and bought myself a Black and Decker industrial grade electronic rodent repeller (I don't mean one of those cheesy little ones they sell at Big Lots that plugs into an outlet like a night light) for $26. I plugged it in in my laundry room and dropped it through the ash removal door in my basement chimney. For a day or two, I could hear very loud squeaking (like mice/rats not having a good time). After that, silence. I've kept it plugged in for going on 15 months now, and have had no problems.

If you can run a cord up to your attic and plug one in, it might be worth a shot. There's always the danger of them fleeing into your house, but a few traps to catch the ones that do would take care of the problem, since no new ones would likely come in once the repeller is turned on.

Just a thought.

A cat's always a good idea, too.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Surprisingly, there are several "how do I get rid of _____ in my house?" threads floating around OT. Search one out and you'll find several suggestions. Some from experienced hunters, others from those with no experience. Some successful, some not so much. :D

-Mike

6. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Time for the Pest Control folks?:hyper:

wallace-and-gromit-curse-of-the-wererabbit-2.jpg

7. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Kill them NOW. They can cause more damage than you might think.

8. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I used TomCat traps baited with Peanut Butter. That way you
    know where the bodies are.

They seem to like the engine compartment of the car as well.
    They make a little hole in the insulation on the hood, and hide in
    there. Nice and toasty and every once in a while they get
    to go for a Sunday drive.

9. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

When my wife and I got back from my parents' after Christmas there were some mouse droppings in the back of one of the cupboards. It seems that some mice got into my neighbours' place (duplex) and then were able to find a way between the two sides. One of my cats quickly disposed of them. Our cat killed two and our neighbours' has killed 6 in the past week.

Here's how our male Devon Rex came in to the living room this morning:

DSC04404.jpg

Make sure you wash wherever you find droppings well. I use bleach to clean it. I'm going to empty all of the cupboards this weekend and wash down everything.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Set traps where you can reach them - that way you can dispose of the carcasses and not have the bad smalls.

11. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA

Good Kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    i had a bunch of mice in the basement of the country house.

then they seemed to disappear.

a few weeks later i found a shed snake skin down there about 5 feet long.

I don't go in the basement anymore.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've got critters coming up the hole around the pipes under the sink. I voted for opening the cabinets and closing the kitchen door with the two cats in the kitchen for the night. My wife instead said we should just put some non-kill traps under the sink. Buzzkill.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've got them too. Going through this right now. Traps are better. Poison sucks because then they die and rot in hard to read places.

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    :eek:

Burn the house.

16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Call an Exorcist!!!

17. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    We're hoping our oldest little critter gets into the college of his choice. The youngest little critter still has a few more years. :bag:

18. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You underestimate the density of morfs.

19. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    .177 @ 400 fps also works.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It has came to my attention today that there is a mouse loose in my house, so the traps are out again. The last time there was a mouse in my house it fell foul of a trap in my bathroom cupboard, and was nearly sliced in half!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021