Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

little eub help.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by warwickben, Jul 22, 2003.

1. i have been making my eub for the past month or so. all i need to do it put tuners and a bridge on. i made a peace out of brass to hold the string ends. my problem is i did what bob(not sure what his last name is) iam making a neckthru bass so when i glued my neck on i realized i cant use a real upright bridge.i was going to make a bolt on,but i wasnt sure how to fingure out the enck angle. can any one help me make a bridge.

iam a 17 year old kid,and sinc ei started playing bass i have wanted to play upright, but since i dont got the money i started making a eub. so any help will be good. sorry for my lack of being able to spell.

2. Chambers

Chambers

Apr 9, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    *from left field*
    You could put a large scarf joint where the neck meets the body, if that would work out with any sort of body shape you have. You could calculate the approriate angle by the height of your bridge (the double bass bridge). It's kind of a radical thing to do if you just need a bridge and tuners though.

3. ever bass i i have looked at looked like the just cut a peacie of maple 1/4 thick and shaped it to the finger board shape.

4. sorry about my last post, is that all i need to do cut a peacie of maple 1/4 thinkc, and curve it to the shape if the finger board.

5. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Can you post a pic? I'm not quite following your description of the problem.

6. sorry i not really sure how to desribe my problm, i dont have a pic of my bass right now but go to,http://www.eclecticbass.com/eurb.html my bass looks vervy much liek this,but my problem is the bridge,all i need to do is make a bridge that bassicaly the same as that.

7. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    well, here's how you do it for an acoustic upright. Use hard maple with the grain parallel to the top of the instrument. First you have to fit it to the top of the bass so it will make good contact. I don't know if you are making a free floating bridge or a glued-on one. Anyway, once it is fitted, string up the bass. Make the bridge blank high at first, and put in temporary notches for the strings. Begin to carefully deepen the outer string notches until the action is correct. Then transfer the FB curve to the bridge and cut to height. Hope that helps.

BTW the bottom pic shows the bridge before cutting down to height.

[​IMG]

8. i kinda new i had to do that , i just wasnt sure if it was that easy.

9. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't have a closeup pic of bridge :meh:, but I chose to keep the strings/neck fairly parallel to each other rather than angled back & requiring a taller bridge.

[​IMG]

My bridge is made out of some spare wenge. I removed the bridge from an existing upright for verifying string width 'saddles'. I also used replicated the arc from the real bridge to mine.