Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Little Help choosing my new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chips, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Ashton BA150

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Behringer BX1200

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Hello Badgers,

I've been playing bass since christmas now, and have improved enough to have a jam with my mates. He Plays drums, my current amp is a Peavey Microbass 20 watt... Drums drown it out straight away:bawl: TRAGEDY... So now i'm buying a larger amp so we can jam. The two main candidates are an Ashton BA150 or a Behringer BX1200. With my 15% discount the Ashton is $680 and the Behringer $589 (AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS). Anyone have any experiences or opinions with these amps or can recomend some other new candidates for me?Cheers.

Rock Out,
    Chips:bassist:

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey bud. Nice to see another aussie on the TB boards ;)

If your being drowned out by a microbass, then both those amps are useless. I have a Peavy TNT15BW ($1200 Australian, 150 watts) and it can just manage to keep up with my drummer.

If you want to play with a drummer and use a combo amp, i suggest you save your pennies and buy somewith with 100 watts plus. Now the amps that are 100 watts plus, you will be looking at a minimum of $500 on a good day. Im not sure what the music shops are like over in the west, but have a look around, because there is no way that you can be heard (decently) with one of those amps, unless the drummer is using brushes. Good luck!

3. AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
    oi oi oi!

sorry, patriotic stupidity aside, the Ashton is 150 watts, and i dunno what the behringer is.
    If you've got time check out www.kosmic.com.au
    and go to the bass amp combos, they're both on there, if you can check them out and tell me what you think that would be excellent:D

Cheers,
    Chips

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    i had no idea ashton made a 150 watt combo :eek:

well it has the features, 150 watts, compression, 7 band EQ. but i cant say much for the behringer, and nor can most other people on these boards. they are just dodgy quality. and to be frank, so are some ashton products, but they have been making some really good products latley, so have a play, and if you like it, go for it! id choose the ashton over the Behringer by the way ;)

EDIT: ill change the name of the thread so you get a few more replies ;)

5. Thanks for the help,
    Yer, it's a new product, i have heard behringer are a bit dodgey and that ashtons arent bad they're just under-rated. :)