Little help interpreting StewMac's wiring diagram: first timer

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basschair, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi all,

Just got a Nordstrand Dual Coil parallel set with four leads (black, white, red, green), and wanted to wire a passive setup with a dptt switch. I found a previous thread on just that, and Carey guided that posterhere ...and to use the "series/cut-coil/parallel" setup.

1. does this design mean that I use one switch for each pup, or solder the whites, blacks, etc. from both pups to each of these poles on one switch?

2. when they say solder the bare to ground, do they mean literally that: strip some shield wrap and solder the bare wire to the ground (back of vol pot is their suggestion)? May be dumb question, but it almost seemed too obvious.

3. I'd like to wire it with a tone pot for each pup, a single blend and master volume. I'm new to this, but I think the signal path would go pups to switch(es), then to tones, blend, and m. volume. Does this sound right?

I'm totally cool with anyone pointing me to wiring diagram links, but some explanation as well would really help. I'm new to reading wiring diagrams as well as to wiring, and though I've read some of the bass-making books and they've helped, I'm still feeling my way through.

2. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    1.) Looks like from the schematic that you would need a switch for each pickup.

2.) Yes. If you go to the back of the pot make sure you have a wire or some other form of ground path from the pot casing back to the ground lug of the input jack.

3.) Yes, but I always tend to put the tone after the volume and blend.

Here is a link to the Seymour Duncan website schematics section. Hopefully these are a little easier to follow? Look under humbuckers and there is a ton of variations you can check out.

SD Schematics
  3. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thanks man

Any others?

4. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Wire each pup to it's own series/cut/parallel switch, tap a tone circuit off each switch's output, wire each switch's output to the blend, then feed that to your master volume -> jack. Does that make sense?

The Seymour Duncan diagram for "2 humbuckers,volume, 2 tones, & 3-way switch" is very close to what you need. You're simply using a blend pot in place of the 3-way pickup selector.

As for the grounding, yep - they mean strip some outer insulation, twist up the braided wrap, and solder it to ground. I'ld suggest sheilding the control cavity and soldering grounds to a ring terminal that's either over a pot post or screwed to the wall of the cavity, rather than soldering to pot shells, but that's just me.

Good luck and post up!
  5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thanks man! It'll be a bit before I'm down to the wiring phase. I was thinking about using the conductive paint shielding approach this time, but haven't decided yet. As for a central grounding post, I'd considered it, but should probably read up on the other posts around here...