Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Little help on this mod please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kilian., Oct 22, 2005.

1. OK I can't find it.. so I had to make a thread.

I'm modding my jazz bass like this:
    [​IMG]
    Seems simple so far.

The problem kicks in that I bought two switches, because they are cheaper and they look better. Otherwise it will be $20 for two push/pull. BUT they don't fit, the pots are too big to leave room for the switches.
    [​IMG]

I was thinking of the following options:
    - get a new control plate and make the holes myself (so I can make it all fit) the problem is that those aren't for sale?
    - get mini 250K pots and that will make room for the switches, the guitarstores (including custom shops) don't have them.. Maybe the electronics store? The shops said that those were rare.
    - ... ?

What's the difference between 250 / 500 pots? I know that the tone pot will let more treble through with 500. Will it be a BIG difference? I've already got more then enough high mids and I don't really like that :smug:
    Who can suggest something?
    :help:

2. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    there you go:

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/parts.cfm?fuseaction=include_plates

12$ per your plain vanila chrome plate.

same site, push/pull knobs for 11 bucks:

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/parts/parts.cfm?fuseaction=include_potentiometers

(btw -no, I'm not affilated with warmoth)

regarding the high mids, open a thread about jazz bass capacitator installation and some of the Jazz modders will be able to comment on what capacitator you should get, where to put it and what would it do to your sound.

now, what exactly the push/pull knobs do in this configuration??

3. No sorry, I need a control plate without holes drilled in it :smug:

Each switch in this configuration will put a pickup in series or parallel. This can be done, because the Dimarzio Model J's are humbuckers and have 4 wires.

And about the capacitors thing: maybe someone can answer it in this thread?

4. A 500k pot will bleed off less high frequency to ground, giving you a brighter signal than a 250k pot, but it's not a huge difference.

As for the capacitor value, a higher value will give you more treble roll off with your tone pot.

Common cap values are:

0.022uf
    0.033uf
    0.047uf
    0.068uf
    0.1uf

The 0.1uf cap will roll off more treble with your tone pot, resulting in a significant high cut. The 0.022uf cap will roll off less treble, giving you a brighter sound with the tone pot in it's maximum cut position.

Caps are cheap, buy a few, and try the different values out. Stick with the one you like most.

;)

5. Thanks :smug:

But about the pots: are there 250k mini pots out there?
    I don't want a real trebly tone, I could do it with 500K's and another capacitor then maybe..?

Any advice?

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Yes, there are 250K mini pots. Go to mouser.com and search for 16mm audio taper potentiometers. Get the Alpha brand.

But you'll have a much easier time overall if you just get push/pull or push/push pots.

There's not much audible difference between 500K and 250K tone pots. Take Luke's advice on caps.

7. Then why do they make them? :eyebrow:

But if there isn't such a great difference, I will get myself a pair of 500K's.

And about the push/pull pot's: I want to have it with a switch. Call it stupid, but I think it looks way better and it will cost me 50% of the money. And I've already destroyed one pushpull :scowl: So I will rely on the heavey built normal pots.

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    They make them because there is a very noticeable difference with guitars depending on the pickups. But the changes are at high frequencies that basses don't produce.

9. Also note that 250k and 500 k pots are not just made for guitar or bass applications ;)

They're just a generic electronic component, and have a virtually infinite array of functions in all sorts of electronic applications, and in many cases a 250k pot will have a vastly different effect than a 500k pot.

It just so happens that the difference isn't that great in bass (but as Lyle said - is more noticeable in guitar applications because of the procuction of higher frequencies).

:)

10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    if you don't want to get smaller pots, mount the input jack on the side of your bass (you will have to drill a hole) and put one swtich in the jack position and one next to it. I saw this done once with 3 switches (one in the input hole and one on either side) and it looked good.

11. Hmm this could work, thanks for the suggestion! But I think that I will go for the 500K pots. The holes for the pots are still a lot bigger then the holes I need to drill for the switches, so that will still give some problems..

I'm picking them up tomorrow, thanks everybody. :smug: