Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Little help please for an SVT-II, (old one, not Pro).

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassomatic, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Yesterday at rehearsal was running my SVT-II thru a 410, was sounding great as usual, when this hideous crackling sound started coming out of the cab. It wasn't just when I played, but would also happen if the drummer hit his kick hard. At the sametime, it was still amplifying the signal from my bass.

I thought I blew a speaker, but took off the cover and they seemed fine, so I figured the tweeter was gone. Not wanting to stop playing I just swapped in an 810, figuring I'de deal with the 410 later. Well the loud crackling was still happening!

It sounded sort of like lightening striking in a movie.

Before taking this to a tech, does anyone out there have any ideas about what could be causing this?

p.s. I checked all my cables, tried bypassing effect pedals going straight in, played another bass, all the external things I could think of.

Thanks for any help.

2. How does that happen, and how can I tell which one it is.

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Give the side of each tube a light tap with the eraser on a wooden pencil and listen to the resulting output.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Usually microphonic preamp tubes sound a little "boingy-er" than your description.

Microphonic power tubes often sound like badly tuned chimes, or clanking metal.

Could still be microphonics.

Could also be a loose connection inside. That usually tends to be more "static-like" in sound, like lightning heard over the radio. If so, you'll probably NOT hear it tapping tubes, but you might if you give the whole unit a "thunk" with your hand.

5. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I had that problem once with the same amp (older svt-II). It was the input jacks... would crackle when amp was pushed or mic'd drums rattled them. Had 'em resoldered and never had a problem with it again...

J

6. Tonight's the first chance I'll have to dink around with it. If I can't locate the prob then I'm taking it to a tech. I just want to be back up and running.

I'll post the prob and fix when I know it.

BTW, anyone in the SF bay area with a 410he for sale?

7. Try setting it on the floor and playing. Shaking at 40hz can't be good for solder joints.